5|| Leo

After "Zeller, Rose" was sorted into Hufflepuff, Gandalf's identical twin stood up.

"Now, as our American student transfer was more than successful, we have gained two new students as well. They will now be sorted into their houses."

Ol' Athena McGonagall cleared her throat. "Solace, Will." Will stood up from where he was sitting at the Gryffindor table and walked over to the hat as he had seen the first years do. The hat sat on his head for a good thirty seconds or so, before finally...

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

Nico slammed his fist on the table suddenly, but the noise was drowned out by the applause that rang through the hall.

"Hufflepuff?" He echoed, sounding disbelieving. "Hufflepuff?"

"Don't hate on the Hufflepuffs," Hazel whispered as she leaned back and spoke to Nico. Nico shook his head, muttering under his breath as Will sat on the table next to them.

"Valdez, Leonidas."

>>>•O•<<<

The hat slipped on, and despite being on probably millions of kids heads, it didn't smell all that bad.

"Well, of course I don't smell. I'm magic."

Woah, this is new.

"Yeah, it tends to be for people not used to magic."

So, what exactly do you do?

"I sort you into your house, of course! Were you not listening to my song? I spent so long on that one."

Sorry, sorry, it was great.

"I know you're being sarcastic. I can read your thoughts, you know."

My bad.

"Okay, we've side tracked enough. Ready your mind, demigod."

Wait, what?

Suddenly, Leo's life flashed before his eyes. Literally. This is it, he thought hazily. I'm going to die again.

"What d'you mean agai-- OH MY GOD." The hat suddenly screamed in his head. "Well, this complicates things," he muttered. "Let's see..."

"You'd fit Slytherin because you're really ambitious. Turning a ship into a dragon?"

I wouldn't say ambitious... more like I stick to my goals.

"You're also cunning." Random memories flashed through his head. When he was in elementary school, and managed to trick a bully into locking himself in the bathroom stall for recess time so he couldn't beat up anyone. When he was older, and managed to evade his foster home's punishments. On the Argo, managing to keep everyone in the dark about his plan (except Frank and Hazel). Other memories he totally forgot happened.

"But that can also pass as wisdom," the hat continued. "Your mind works in odd ways. You're also exceedingly loyal, returning to Ogygia for Calypso even though everyone else said it was impossible. You kept your promise to her, which is very Hufflepuff of you. But managing to come back to life, evading death, that's Slytherin. And thinking of a plan that complex, Ravenclaw. Not to mention your incredible skill of managing to insult everyone hostile you come upon."

Where do I go?

"I think this is obvious. RAVENCLAW!"

The hat was whipped off his head by the McGonagall lady, and the table decked with blue and bronze burst into applause. Leo sat down, and a Ravenclaw patted his back firmly. Across the room, he saw Jason slump.

"Hey," a voice said from behind him. Leo turned around and saw Piper at the green and silver table. Leo barely had time to say 'hi' back when the food appeared.

The feast passed much too quickly for everyone's taste, and then Dumbledore was standing up at the staff table as quiet burps echoed throughout the room.

"Well, now that you are digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start of term notices," he began. "First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to all students —and a few of our older students should be reminded so of also. Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door." Emphasis on extensive. Dumbledore continued. "Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the —"

He broke off suddenly, shooting an inquiring look towards Professor Umbridge, who had gotten to her feet (not that it was evident, she was about as tall standing as sitting). It wasn't until she cleared her throat with an infuriating "hem, hem," that it was evident she was about to make a speech.

"Thank you, Headmaster," she simpered. "For those kind words of welcome."

As she gazed around the faces of the students like they were puppies she owned, her smile was not one of kindness. It was one that said, you may not agree with me, but I promise this is for the best.

Leo cast a side glance at Piper, who was glaring at the lady.

The pink toad continued. "Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

No one looked very happy. On the contrary, they all looked rather taken aback at being addressed like three year olds.

"I'm very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!" She cleared her throat again. "Hem hem. Now, the Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills..." her voice faded into the back of Leo's mind as he began to pull things from his tool belt where his wand was also stowed. Fir and a phoenix feather. He pulled out a rubber band and secured it all tightly so that it the insides wouldn't fall out, then he placed the machine on the bench next to him. Not knowing what he made, Leo wound up the gear then let go. He could see it dropping down, then scuttling away as it made its way to the staff table. A moment later, he could no longer see it, but the occasional student glance told him exactly where it was.

The elephant toad lady didn't notice a thing as she continued to talk. "Old habits will be retained, and rightly so, wheras others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned." Suddenly, her composure cracked as her leg twitched just the slightest. "Let us move forward, then--" now her voice cracked as her leg twitched more violently, now above the knee as if a drop of water was in anti-gravity mode and trickling from the ankle up. "--into a new-- era of open--ness, and accountability... intent on-- preserving what ought to be preser--ved, perfec--ting--g what needs to be perfected-- and pruning wh--ere--ver we find pra--actices that ought to be prohibite--ed!" she shrieked the last word and began squirming, doing an odd dance as if she was trying to get rid of something. "It's in my robes!" she reached a stumpy hand to her back as if trying to pluck off the invisible thing. Laughter rang out through the hall as they watched her squirm, clawing at something they couldn't see. Finally, she reached for her wand and pointed it at herself. "Accio!' she squeaked. A flash of bronze flew out of her cardigan sleeve and attached to the tip of her wand like a magnet. All laughter fell silent as she plucked it between her two fingers like it was a bug.

"A lizard," she said, her gaze scanning the faces. "A brass lizard. Who dares do this?"

The demigods looked at Leo. Leo's face twitched, but no one made a sound, and her eyes passed right over them. "Well?" she demanded. "Stand up, now."

No one moved. Finally she huffed. "Alright, I see how it is. I didn't want it to be like this, we could've been friends. I will see you all in class." The last words hung in the air rather like a threat as she turned and stalked back to her seat.