Chapter 17

Unknown: Hello, Minhyuk.

Um... sorry, who is this?

Unknown: I'm Moonbyul's "favourite person".

What?

Wait. How did you get my number?

Unknown: I would like to say Moonbyul gave it to me, but no. I got it from one of your members -- Changsub.

So, would you like to guess who Moonbyul's "favourite person" is?

It's quite obvious you're Solar.

Unknown: So you acknowledge the fact that Byul likes me more, huh?

Why are you asking me this? In fact, why are you contacting me? And at such a late hour? We're practically strangers.

Unknown: Don't deny it anymore, Minhyuk. You like her. In fact, you're awake because you're thinking of her.

Please, just explain why you contacted me. Did something happen to Moonbyul?

Unknown: Well, she told me something I think you'd like to hear as well.

Then tell me.

Unknown: I think you should ask her yourself.

Then why did you contact me if you're not going to tell me?! Besides, I don't get to see her a lot.

Unknown: What she has to say would be better heard in person. And don't worry. From what she told me, I can see that she wants to see you as well.

Ok...

Unknown: I think you have more to say.

Fine! Since you've been so open about Moonbyul, I guess I should be too.

I can't deny the fact that I love her, and of course I'm jealous of you and your members. But I understand if she chooses someone else, because I want her to be happy.

Unknown: That's what everyone says on the surface. Deep down, you want her to be yours, like I do. I just don't like hiding behind my words.

You think so because you have a chance with her. I don't.

...You know, she told me she feels left out sometimes in Mamamoo. If you can't make her feel loved, I'm more than happy to take your place.

Unknown: We'll see about that. Anyway, I'll tell Byul that you're happy to see her.

No thanks, I can tell her myself.

Minhyuk stared at his screen a while longer, absorbing the contents of the short exchange with weary eyes. As his sight became blurry with exhaustion, he closed his phone and dropped it somewhere on his bedside table, not bothering to say goodbye to Solar.

Even though the two idols were miles apart, Minhyuk could still feel a tension in the room, as if he'd just had a fight with someone. To be fair, the "conversation" just now hadn't been a nice one; nor was it one he wanted to have at the moment, because of the identity of the other person.

Solar had been tense, he could see it through the curtness of her messages. He knew he had been tense too -- normally he wouldn't have been so straightforward with someone he didn't know well. Somehow, this was a different situation -- everything was different when it included Moonbyul.

In fact, you're awake because you're thinking of her. Solar was half right -- Minhyuk's dream/nightmare had appeared again. Still, he was reminded of the fact that Byul would never accept him, not when she had Solar.

But still, a flicker of hope remained in him, that little star bringing light to the darkness, dim as it was. Solar's words caused that star to glow again, reigniting hope that he thought he had lost forever, as his nightmare tormented him for all of three months.

What did Moonbyul say to Solar, that might interest Minhyuk as well? Minhyuk didn't think about it -- he didn't want to lift his hopes up. He could already sense reality lurking behind, ready to bring him crashing back down into another ocean of hopelessness.

Minhyuk wasn't able to think properly anyway, as a fog of tiredness enveloped any thoughts running through that weary mind of his. To add to the nightmares that made it impossible for him to rest well, his days were getting longer again, the seemingly endless music shows coming up as well as preparations for a solo song threatening to topple him over. Right now, all he wanted was Moonbyul to soothe his too-tense nerves, to lift the stress off him.

And maybe what Moonbyul had to say would do that.

Stop hoping...

But before he could start arguing with himself again, Minhyuk was fast asleep.