Chapter 45 - preparation

*the next day*

— STEPHANIES POV —

I wake up with an instant beaming expression filling my face. Today is the day I hopefully see Michelle awake, after all this time, everything is finally going to be fixed again.

The entire house is silent, other than the loud snore of lily coming from beside me. I lean over the bed, reaching out for my phone as it sits on Michelle's white smooth desk. The time is 8:44am so I decide I should probably get up and start heading out soon. The walk to the hospital takes at least an hour from here.

I rummage through the clothe-filled wardrobe, crammed with both mine and Michelle's clothes. I pull out an oversized fluffy jumper and some skinny ripped jeans.

I make my way into the kitchen to turn on the kettle, sighing at how messy everything is. I want to make it nice for Michelle to come home to. I begin wiping down the crumb topped kitchen table. I then swiftly slide the hoover in every room downstairs, reaching underneath sofas and the coffee table in the front room.

Once both the kitchen and front room are a lot neater, I head back into Michelle's room. It's as if a tornado has hit it. There's books, clothes and makeup all over the floor (most of it being mine.) I neatly pile them into different sections, wafting the clothes in the air to remove all of Lily's dog hair from it. I then hang them up neatly. I fold the huge pile of pyjamas, stacking them up until they begin to loose balance. They luckily just about fit in the slide out draw.

Finally, I gather up a large handful of makeup and slide it back into Michelle's large makeup bag, zipping it up slowly after everything has gone inside it.

I back up for a full view of the room. It's almost immaculate but there's something missing. It doesn't feel cosy enough, but I know exactly how I can fix that. I close the thin blinds until the room is almost pitch back, the tiniest ray of light shines through and onto the floor. I switch on the fairy lights that are loosely wrapped around the bed. They flicker calmingly, lighting up the entire room.

Everything looks so cosy now, I know Michelle will love it when she comes home. I manage to scoot lily off the bed so that I can make it back up, gathering up extra pillows from
The storage room. I plump them so that they're extra thick and fluffy. I also collect up a fluffy blanket from under the bed, placing it underneath the covers to make it more comfortable for her.

I'm finally happy with how everything looks, I give one last look at the room as I begin to walk my way out, closely followed by Lily. I shut the door slightly, leaving a small peep of it open, in order for lily to go in if she likes when I'm out.

I place on my adidas pumps, snatching the key from the kitchen table and heading out of the house, towards the hospital. It's almost time.