Chapter 3: Reunion

Early in the morning, Moana woke to prepare for her morning routines, which included harvesting, fishing, and sometimes, hunting for breakfast. Along with her, a lot of village folks started the morning routine with her. As usual, they picked coconuts, collected the water, saved the fiber, and used the leaves to lit the fire. For breakfast, she collected bags of grain and gathered some fish to go with the bowl of grain.

"Mmm," Moana savored the taste of her breakfast, "I just love it when the grain is cooked not so soft and watery. This fish really goes well with this grain!"

"You seem happier than yesterday," Sina watched Moana talk to herself while she ate.

"Did something good happen yesterday night?" Tui was also glad to see Moana being in a brighter mood again.

Moana looked at her mother and said, "Wasn't I always happy?" Then she turned to her dad and said, "and no, nothing special happened yesterday. Just like any ordinary days." All those tears that Moana let out made her feel much better. Moana didn't want to mention anything about her tears or Maui. About her crying, she would make her parents worried even more. About Maui, it would be weird to tell them that she has a crush on a demigod whom many people think he is just a legend. Even if he was real, it would still be weird if a mortal and an immortal went into a certain relationship. She put her empty bowl down and stood up. "Well, I gotta go check on the farms and bushes. See you later!" She grabbed the farming stick and rushed out cheerfully.

Out on the farm, she hummed as she checked the conditions of the vegetables, dug some holes to plant more vegetables, and picked some berries. She was all alone in the farm as other people went out to pick more coconuts, fish out to the sea, and hunt in the deep forest. All of the sudden, she let out a deep sigh. "Oh, I really want to see him. I wish that he was here right next to me, helping me with picking berries."

"If you want, I'll really help you!" She heard a familiar voice.

She looked around to see where the voice came from. "Where did that voice come from? It sounds so familiar."

"Behind the bushes, kid," the voice replied.

Moana walked over and peeked into the bush, and out popped Maui!

Moana needed a moment to think, then she finally spoke up. "Oh my goodness! Maui! Is that really you?" Moana couldn't believe her eyes.

"Yes it is." Then he turned the other way and scratched his head because he suddenly became a little shy to face her. "My, why is your island so hard to find?" He doesn't know why he lied. He didn't know what to say. "I was flying all over the sea to find this island and now I finally... finally..." Maui peeked over because Moana was unexpectedly quiet. She had her hands over her mouth and tears were pouring out from her eyes. "... found this island."

"Oh, Maui," she blubbered. Before Maui said another word, she wrapped her arms around Maui.

"Ah, kid. I know, I know. I missed you too." Maui patted her back.

"Why didn't you... come earlier? I really... missed you..." Moana sobbed in his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, kid. But I'm here now. There you go, deep breath," Maui said as he continued to pat her back to make her feel better.

Moana hugged him until she calmed down and decided that she hugged him enough. "Glad to see you, Maui."

"Same here, princess." Maui teasingly winked when Moana looked up to him when he said 'princess'.

"I told you I'm not a princess. I don't care if I'm wearing a dress and if I have an animal sidekick. I am a-"

"-daughter of village chief." Maui finished the sentence for her.