Chapter 8: Lovely Evening

Instead of voyaging more, Moana felt that she was done for today after what happened with Kakamora. She sighed deeply as she watched the villagers happily planting more nectarines and pineapples. She stretched and lied down.

"Well well well, is chief of Motunui tired?" Maui walked up and looked down at her.

"A little bit," Moana yawned, "oh I never felt so tired before. I hope that they don't come back to us." Moana became a little bit more worried.

"Don't worry about them anymore," Maui comforted her, "I believe we scared them too much for them to come back to us. If they do, I got more ways to beat them." Maui winked. Moana smiled. "Hey, curly, wanna catch some air with me?" Maui let out his hand. Moana smiled and grabbed his hand so that Maui can lift her. She wrapped herself around Maui's arm. Maui felt his heart beating in excitement, but he decided to stay calm and say, "You're gonna walk like this?"

"Yes, I want to," Moana replied sweetly. "We won't have a lot of chance to be together like this in this island. You know, we must keep this relationship thing secret or my life of being a chief would be questioned."

Maui chuckled and started to walk. He first headed to the shore. "You know, I've been in Motunui for so long, and I still find this island very interesting. It seems like I'm discovering a lot of new and different things everyday."

"When I was younger, I always came to the sea, no matter how much my parents pulled me away and scolded me when I suggested that we should go out to the reef," Moana said as she looked at the ocean.

"Well, they must be proud of you now," Maui said, "you reminded your people who they are supposed to be after restoring Te Fiti's heart."

Moana snickered. Then she let loose of Maui's arm and sat on the boat to soak her feet in the water. She snickered more as she slightly kicked the water. Maui sat next to her, but a little bit apart. The ocean pushed them together. Maui blushed a little and Moana laughed as she gently put her hand over her mouth. Instead of having a lovely and romantic conversation with each other, they silently sat for a while. Moana only kept playing with the water as the waves rushed below her feet. Then she sighed and said, "Oh, I remember my grandma. She and I used to dance with the water."

"I see," Maui replied, "what happened to her?"

"She passed away," Moana said. Now that she's used to it, she didn't feel any difference, she moved on. But Maui still felt guilty asking that question.

"Oh, sorry I asked," Maui apologized.

"It's fine. I moved on." The manta rays came beneath their feet. She slightly hopped out and let the manta rays swim around her. "She's one of them now." Maui didn't understand her, but he still smirked. "Well, let's go around the village. I still gotta watch people frequently."

"Alright, chief of Motunui," he hopped out of the boat and followed her.

Moana and Maui walked around the village to check on people. They seem to have a pleasant break after planting the bananas and nectarines, hunting, and fishing. As they both continued to walk around the village. Moana heard some whimpering, wincing, and shrieking from one of the hut. They were putting tattoos on their backs. She walked over to them. "That must hurt."

"Ow, ow, OW!" one of them shrieked the loudest.

"It's okay, you're almost there!" Moana encouraged, but the tattoo wasn't even close to being finished.

Maui stepped right next to Moana. The man who was getting the tattoo watched Maui's tattoo. "How did you manage to deal with your pain of getting your tattoo?"