18.2

A/N: Once again, I know the update is a day late. My apologies! The school year is beginning and my time is lessening... joys. Anyways, I'm sorry this is late! Also, *WARNING* get tissues before you read this.

-

02 - 17 - 2089

I forgot about my last drawing. I stumbled upon it when I went into the bathroom to relieve myself, the large drawing smeared across the otherwise clean walls. Two figures, one taller than the other, both standing straight and facing the world. Together.

Part of me scoffs at the Gis who drew this. She was so optimistic, believing she could claim the moon if she tried. Such small wishes for freedom, and I can see how far I've fallen. Naïve. The only word to explain who I was. But now I know better.

The world isn't friendly. And everyone has to fight for what they believe in.

If only I had known what I know now. I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up. Life isn't fair, and I can face that now.

My hand rests on the depiction of Cade, brushing with light fingers across his eyes and lips. I hope he's okay, wherever he is. I hope he isn't in pain. As much as I wish it though, I'm afraid it can't be true. If his appearance said anything, it's that Ilene Lestat doesn't appreciate what her son did.

Which brings another barrage of questions to my already worn mind. Why hurt her son if he was working with her this whole time? And why all this lying and deceit if Ilene Lestat was in control of this? No matter what she says, I don't see a purpose for letting Cade and I run from her.

That leaves one answer. Director Ilene Lestat was lying. Cade may be her son, but he wasn't working for her. And even though we failed to escape, it isn't his fault. That thought fills me with so much relief I sink to my knees and focus on breathing. I can't stop the smile from spreading as the surety of this thought fills me.

Cade didn't fail me. No, he fought until the end to save me.

-

I'm still in the bathroom an hour later, all my tears gone, when the door to my room opens and someone enters. The person stops at the entrance to the bathroom, but I don't turn.

"It's time to go." The familiar voice hits me and I finally turn, looking up into the dark eyes and once comforting features.

"What's going on, Barr?" I ask, though I'm careful to keep my voice devoid of all emotion. I drag myself to a standing position, still having to tilt my head back to face Barr.

His posture is rigid as he stares at me, his eyes flicking across my face. "Follow me," he says, his own voice bland. Barr turns and heads for the door, expecting me to follow. I hesitate only a moment before leaving the bathroom and waiting in the center of my room while Barr unlocks the door.

Once the door is open, he steps aside for me to walk out. I go first, my eyes taking in the familiar hallways and now empty guard station outside my room. Looking for a possible escape route. The door clicks shut behind us.

"This way." Barr starts leading me past the guard station, but I grab the sleeve of his uniform, stopping him.

"Please tell me," I try again, my voice quiet so he can't hear the effort it takes to say those words. To keep the emotion out of my voice.

His eyes are heavy as he shakes his head, reaching up and detaching my hand. "Gis, things are different now. I'm sure you've realized that."

I scoff. "Of course I realize that." Barr starts walking, and I'm forced to follow so I can finish what I want to say. "I get that things are different. And that you can't be nice to me anymore. But all I'm asking for is to know what's to become of me." My eyes still flit about the hallway, but escape isn't an option now. Not with Cade in their clutches.