20.2

A/N: Hey guys, so weird news... this is the very last chapter of The First O.O I can scarcely believe it, and I am so blessed to have such amazing people to share my writing with. I just want you all to know that you're great, and I'm so grateful for your support! Now, please enjoy :)

-

05 - 03 - 2089

I see my freedom everywhere now.

I see it in the wisps of grass tickling my bare feet. I see it in the trees on either side of me. I see it in the new growth covering the forest, drowning out the remnants of winter.

So much green.

So much life.

I'm taking my daily walk through the woods behind the house where I spend most of my time. The house is on the outskirts of a quaint town, one much warmer than Fairbanks. After a long, long, plane ride we landed in this place. It was much warmer than Alaska when we arrived, and after several months the snow has completely disappeared, new life has springing forth.

I'm still not tired of all the color. I look forward to leaving the house and enveloping myself in nature. Listening to the breeze blow past as birds skitter about to make their nests. Hearing the beginnings of frogs croaking in a nearby creek, and the buzz of insects. It's so plain, so untouched, that it's easy to forget what it happening all over the world.

"I thought I'd find you out here."

I turn around to see Cade heading towards me, slow because of the bulky crutches he has to lean on for support. He's wearing gray sweatpants and a loose t-shirt, the bandages around his stomach just peeking through.

I head for him, a smile on my lips, but by the time we reach each other, he's already breathing hard and his face is pale. His normally shaggy hair is gone, having been buzzed short when he needed surgery for the bullet that landed in his stomach. The hair is starting to grow back more now, but is still shorter than it was.

I don't hesitate to stand on my tiptoes and plant a kiss to his lips. He grins against my mouth and kisses me back, heat flooding through me even in the chilly morning air. When I think about how I almost lost him all those times months ago, I can't help but deepen the kiss.

When we pull back, I give Cade a moment to steady himself, ready to reach out if he needs support. The bullet did a lot of damage inside him, according to the doctor who treated him, and he said Cade was very lucky to be alive.

In fact, that Cade is already up and walking around after all his surgeries is a miracle. His body is still weak, so he needs the crutches to help him, but he's healing more each day.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, shoving my hands into the pockets of my blue sweatshirt.

Cade shrugs. "Not too bad, considering." So, that means you're tired and sore. Get him to rest, Gis.

"Why don't we go inside?" I suggest, hoping he'll agree so I can get him to rest. I know he pushes himself too far, despite what he says. And I know he's tired of staying in bed and playing the patient. But whenever he complains I remind him that I did it for sixteen years.

"We don't have to go in. I know you prefer it out here."

"It's okay. I'm done with my walk anyway." I take a step towards the house, but Cade holds out a hand, a hint of a smile on his handsome face.

"Gis, it's okay. I'm not going to break if I stay out here for a few minutes." Cade draws me near and entwines his hand around mine. The skin is warm, the touch sending sparks up my arm.