Bittersweet Happiness

(ok so i understand this is short but my inspiration is dead af so pls leave ideas in the comments!
-also none of this is capitalized and shit so pls ignore that)
-enjoy pls!-

-

imagine a shiro who catches sight of his reflection post-galra abduction and hates what he sees. the first time he looks at himself, he cries because he looks so different from the way he used to look, and he can't stand to look at himself because he doesn't recognize his own reflection, from the white hair, to the scars, to the arm.

now imagine a lance who can hear when shiro cries late at night, and has an idea of how to help. he lets himself into shiro's room before it gets too late one night, armed with makeup, beauty oil, and a hair dye substitute. he sits shiro down and tells him that he looks great in lance's opinion, getting a little too graphic with what shiro's appearance does to him, but offers to show shiro how to make himself look more like he used to.

lance shows shiro how to use the oil over his scars, and informs him that in time it will help the scars fade a little. he sorts through the makeup allura had stocked away to find something close to shiro's skin tone, then shows him how to cover up the scar on his nose. he gives shiro a sweater he stole from hunk, that is so loose on shiro the sleeves cover his hands. he helps shiro color the white patch in his hair to almost-match the rest of it (the altean dye didn't match the exact color)

by the end of the night, lance has on a face mask and he's painting shiro's nails on his human hand, and telling shiro stories about beauty nights with his mama and sisters, and shiro is smiling softly because lance hasn't made him talk all night. when lance is done, he walks shiro over to the mirror, and shiro starts crying because the face looking back at him is one he hasn't seen since before the kerberos mission and the sweater covers his prosthetic

lance, meanwhile, hugs shiro from behind and lets the older man cry for the first time in a bittersweet happiness rather than in sorrow for all that he had lost