Teach me how to live {5}

After Credence and Mr.Graves stood there in front of the fireplace talking for hours about magic, the night couldn't be more peaceful. Credence was having a nice dream that involved him and Mr. Graves on an empty beach, during a warm summer day. Mr.Graves was teaching Credence how to make shells levitate. They were laughing and having a really great time until Credence hear a voice behind him, calling his name. He jerked his head towards that voice and the atmosphere changed. He was now in a darkened hallway, and when he looked around him, Mr.Graves was nowhere to be found. He hear that voice call his name one more time and now he realized who it was...Modesty. He now heard her crying and at the end of the hallway he saw a light and a door that was ajar opened. He got closer, intending to walk into the room until he hear another voice coming from inside and he recognized it at once.

"Don't you dare cry after that traitor. After I gave him a home, a family, food, he runs away without telling us a word." Mary Lou shouted. Credence peeked through the slightly opened door and saw Modesty on the floor, leaning with her back against a wall. Her hands were clutched around her knees. Then he saw Mary Lou, which was standing right in front of his little sister, with a belt in her hand, ready to his the girl as hard as she could. But before Mary Lou could do that, Credence felt himself getting angrier and angrier and screamed at the top of his lungs, although it came out as a roar more than a scream. The next thing he heard were screams and then everything went black. But not that kind of black that is not allowing you to see where you're heading to...but the kind of black that makes you shiver and makes you feel fear. Credence was falling through that black evil force as he felt every bone in his body break. He started screaming with pain and crying. After he shut his eyes close, he felt a hand on his shoulder that pulled him back to reality. When everything came back to normal, he noticed that he was sitting in the middle of the bed, breathing really fast, his heart racing and sweat drops running down his forehead. He looked on his right and saw Mr. Graves, resting his hand on his shoulder and looking at him with a very concerned look.

"Credence, are you okay?"

"It- it was just a nightmare." Credence managed to whisper.

"Look at you, you're shaking...come here." Mr.Graves said and pulled Credence into a hug. The boy put his head on his shoulder and relaxed into the hug. He felt Mr.Graves' hand on his neck which seems both affectionate and controlling....and Credence was somehow confused that he actually liked it.

When Mr.Graves broke the hug, his hand slid from Credence's neck, along his jawline where it stopped, cupping his cheek."I heard you screaming and I came here in a hurry thinking that something bad happened." he whispered.

"Sorry I woke you up." responded Credence, looking anywhere but in his eyes.

"Don't be. You've done nothing wrong." Mr. Graves chuckled softly."After what you've been through, it's normal to have nightmares...Now go back to sleep. It's still early."

He took a last glance at Credence before getting up. Credence decided it was best not to tell him about the nightmare...it was already disturbing, he didn't know if he was able to say it out loud.

As Mr. Graves started to open the door, something flew through the open window, causing Credence to jump."Don't be scared, Credence. It's just a letter." Mr.Graves said as a snowy old landed on his shoulder. It had a letter tied around its little foot and after Mr. Graves took it, the owl flew on the bed, right next to Credence.

He relaxed a bit seeing how cute and harmless the owl was. He stroked it and smiled. He then remembered that Mr. Graves told him about owls last night, and that this is how wizards and witches communicate and he finds it pretty interesting.

When he heard Mr.Graves sight, he looked up at him. He was still looking at the letter but didn't seem to read it anymore. As though he felt his eyes on him, Mr.Graves looked down at Credence. "It's from the Ministry. They called me in." he said.