Chapter 14 - Off on Holiday

The next couple of weeks flew past. I was stuck teaching outside due to exams in the sports hall, so whenever I came in after a lesson, I was absolutely frozen. A perk of the job I suppose. I was now teaching lessons on my own, which was great ‘cause I could do my own thing and the kids loved it. Every year was supposed to be doing cross-country, but I let them do something more fun like football or tag rugby. I never like cross-country as a kid, and I wouldn’t make them do a sport they all hate. I was becoming liked by all the kids, which made me really happy. Every day was a new adventure with the kids, and then every night I would either have dinner or at least talk to Harry. Every day was a day closer to our first holiday together. He wouldn’t tell me anything about what we were doing or where we were going. I hated surprises.

After the final day before the holidays began, I opened my flat door to the best sight ever. I saw Harry asleep on my sofa, tinsel in one hand, and a bauble in the other. He had decorated my whole flat, and was half way through decorating the tree. I hadn’t had time to decorate the flat, once I got home from work and had eaten; I was asleep as quick as you could say the word Christmas. I didn’t want to wake him up, but I had to really.

“Oi, ginge, are you my interior decorator as well as my boyfriend!” I jumped on him like a child would to their parents on Christmas day.

“What! Soph! Why the hell didn’t you wake me sooner?”

“Baby, I just got in. its 4:30. What time did you fall asleep?”

“Well, the last time I looked, it was 3:20.”

“I’m not surprised you fell asleep, though! Babe, my flat looks amazing!!” I hugged him really tight. He had hung decorations from the ceiling, put lights all around, and even bought a glow in the dark Santa for me.

“I’m glad you like it.” He seemed very pleased with his work.

“I only have 1 question, HOW did you get into my flat?”

“I know you keep a spare key under the mat.”

“Busted!” I giggled. I looked into Harry’s deep blue eyes. He had that glint. He was up to something. “Why are you smiling like you have just caught a big fish?”

“Because in 30 minutes our taxi will be here. In those 30 minutes, you have to shower and change. I have put what you are going to wear on your bed.”

“Why? Where are we going?”

“Soph, you don’t have time to ask questions, you can ask them when we are in the taxi.” I noticed out of the corner of my eye, two suitcases, mine and Harry’s. I opened my mouth to speak; Harry kissed my lips, so I couldn’t. “Questions later now go!”

I ran to my bathroom at lightning speed, turned on the shower, was out and ready in 20 minutes flat. The dress Harry had laid out for me was my favourite. It was my navy blue jumper dress. He matched it with a pair of black leggings and high heeled UGG boots. He could be my dresser any day. I was just about to walk out of my bedroom when Harry opened the door. “You, my sexy baby, look beautiful.”

I blushed a little, “Thank you. How did you know this was my favourite outfit?”

“I didn’t. I just guessed really, now come here gorgeous.” He wrapped his strong arms around my waist and kissed me passionately. I didn’t want it to end. Then, the doorbell rang. Harry pulled away first. I just stared at him. “I think that’s the taxi.” He handed me my scarf, jacket and gloves before we braved the bitterly cold outside.

I didn’t ask Harry any questions in the taxi. I knew I would find where we were going soon enough. I just gazed out of the window, holding Harry’s hand tight. The taxi drove us the Heathrow. There were a few paps outside, waiting for us to arrive, but not many, much to my relief. Harry took my hand a guided me to our check in desk. Once I saw our destination, my eyes light up. We were going to Denver. Harry whispered in my ear, “Breckenridge, Colorado, if you must know! But I promise, no skiing!”

I replied, “I love you! So much!”

We waited around Heathrow for about 3 hours, waiting for our flight. Some people in the duty-free recognised us, but not many. Once our flight was called, we were on it. Harry paid for the tickets himself, so we were only sitting in economy. I didn’t care that much.  This was our holiday, our first holiday together. I was glad that Harry had got 2 seats on one for the sides of the plane, though. I made sure I was next to the window. I loved watching as we were flying past. As we got comfortable in our seats, I leaned on Harry’s shoulder. As we sat there in silence, he asked me, “Are you happy sweetheart?”

“Of course I am!  And thank you for taking me on holiday especially when you are supposed to be at Sandringham with your family!”

“That’s no problem, they understood. I told my grandmother that I just had to get out of London for a while, and she totally understood. If I bumped into ‘her’ close to Christmas, I would kill her.”

“Well, I know why you are on holiday too; it has been a tough few months for you. Let’s enjoy ourselves, yeh?”

“Yeh, ok. All of my time for the next three weeks is devoted to you baby girl.”

“3 weeks?”

“Well, only 2 weeks and 5 days, so you can be back for the teacher training before you go back!”

“Harry?”

“Hmm.”

“I haven’t been in an aeroplane for 15 years.”

“Don’t worry baby, your ginger superhero will be here next to you all the way.”

“Jeez, Harry don’t flatter yourself too much!” I laughed and poked him in the ribs, and he held me tight into his chest. We were about to take off. I hated this part when I was 8, let alone 23.

“Baby, don’t worry, I’m here.” Harry whispered in my ear. All I could do was hold onto him for dear life. Once we had taken off, I was fine.

This was going to be the holiday of a lifetime, not only because I was with the man I love, but because I was with him for the most romantic 3 weeks, Christmas and New Year.