18. Happiness✔

The Mehra family was sitting in the living room. Mala Mehra had called for a family meeting. They all were waiting for Rahul, who as usual was busy in his work.

It had been two weeks since the hospital incident. Vijay Mehra was now absolutely fine and back at home. He was impatiently waiting for his wife who had gone to call Rahul. As soon as they arrived, everyone bombarded questions at Mala. She signalled them to be quiet and began.

Mala - "I was thinking that now Rahul should get married."

As soon as the words left her mouth, Ajay and Nidhi gave her a questioning look. Then they looked at Rahul and found him looking at the ground. They understood her plan and kept their mouths shut.

Nandini - "I think you are right bhabhi. We should start looking a girl for him."

Vijay and Dilip also nodded their heads. And Rohit and Reeta looked at everyone excitingly.

Mala - "What if I say that Rahul has done the task?"

Everyone gasped. Rahul crossed his fingers still looking at the floor. Ajay and Nidhi were just looking at everyone's faces.

Nandini looked at Rahul ​and asked, "Who is it?"

Rahul looked at his mother. She was looking at him with a neutral face.

He said, "Anjali Mishra, daughter of Sanjay Mishra who is marketing head at Agasthya Group Of Companies."

Dilip - "You can not marry her. She is the daughter of an employee. You are a business tycoon. Think of your standard."

Mala - "My father was a school teacher. So, even I don't match your standard. Haan Dilip?"

Dilip looked at her. She continued, "She supported us at the hospital. Have you forgotten how she took care of Adi?"

The room was silent for few minutes. Then Nandini spoke, "I think bhabhi is right. Rahul, have you talked to her." Rahul nodded. She continues, "Ajay, just make a little inquiry about the family. After that we will proceed. What do you say, bhabhi?"

Mala - "Perfect. Ajay what are you waiting for? Move."

Ajay leaves the room while calling someone.

Vijay - "I think they are right. It's not about status. But the girl should be able to adjust in our family."

Dilip nods and everyone leaves the room. Everyone except Nandini and Rahul.

Rahul - "Mom, you really don't mind me marrying Anjali."

Nandini - "No, I don't. And don't tell about this conversation to Anjali. Let Ajay do his inquiry."

Saying this, Nandini leaves the room.

Rahul thinks, "Mom agreed so easily. I don't understand this. I expected her to get angry. But......maybe I am thinking too much. Maybe she doesn't care."

He too leaves the room.

Two days later

Today again, the Mehra family was in the living room waiting for Ajay to tell about Anjali. It was a pleasant evening. Rahul's heart was beating fast as today it would be decided that whether his family will accept Anjali or not.

Ajay began, "Alright. Anjali Mishra, age 26, is the elder daughter of Sanjay Mishra who is marketing head at Agasthya Group Of Companies. Her mother​, Neeta Mishra is a housewife. Anjali has done her post graduation in Economics and is teaching Economics in Delhi Public School. She has completed her schooling from the same school and is a gold medalist in Economics, Delhi University. She has a younger sister, Aditi Mishra, who is in her final year of MBA from IIM Delhi."

Nandini - "This is her basic family details. Tell us more."

Ajay - "Yeah. They originally belong to Lucknow and had shifted here before Anjali was born. Mr. Mishra's elder brother continues to stay in Lucknow. They have no ancestral riches. Basically, their family believes that true wealth of a person is the family. Mrs. Mishra is the only daughter of her parents. Anjali's grandparents, both paternal and maternal, are ho more. The only close relative that they have is Mr. Mishra's brother, with whom they share a very close relation."

Vijay - "Tell us about his brother."

Ajay nods and continues, "Mr. Kailash Mishra is a retired government servant. His wife, Mrs. Shanti Mishra, teaches tutions to primary class. Anjali took her as an inspiration and became a teacher. Their son, Avinash Mishra, is also presently working for the central government. The children are very close to each other and have been brought up as siblings. Anjali is known for her cool and composed behaviour. She is a regular visitor at Sharda Orphanage. She plays with the kids and also teaches them."

Dilip - "Any thing suspicious?"

Ajay - "No uncle. The family is a very simple one. I didn't​ find any thing that can arouse even an ounce of suspicion."

Nandini - "Rahul, were you aware of all this." Rahul nods. She continues, "So this Sunday, let's surprise them with our visit."

Rohit and Reeta at in unison, "Now Rahul bhai will get married. This calls for celebration."

By then, Nidhi brings sweets for everyone.

Mala - "Don't inform about our visit to Anjali. As Nandini said, let it be a surprise."

Rahul nods and everyone celebrates by eating sweets.

__________________________________________________________

I know I am very late. Forgive me.

Don't forget to click the little star.

Why do you think Nandini agreed so easily. Do share your views.

~Purnima