chapter 00 - prologue

She had grown up in that small town, walking through the streets ever since she was able to

She had grown up in that small town, walking through the streets ever since she was able to. She had known every single face and they had known her; the girl with hair red as fire. Over the years, the strong, red color had softened so it was now only a sparkling strawberry blonde. She had felt at home in that small town, she had never wanted to leave. But in the end she didn't have a choice. War was nearing and everyone could feel it, so did her parents. Seeing the town slowly disappear from her sight had broken her soft, vulnerable, little heart; the young girl cried her eyes out knowing that she probably would never return to that small town that she had called her home.

She had so many memories; all of which would slowly fade over the next couple years. There were so many things she would miss, so many things and so many faces she would most likely never see again. She remembered running through the streets, dodging people in the crowd as her friends chased her or she would chase them if it were the other way around, she remembered she nights she would hide from her parents, hoping that if she wasn't found quick enough she would be allowed to stay up longer, she remembered trying to steal a sip of beer from her father on his Friday nights which he would spend at the pub with some friends, she remembered having had her first kiss behind the shed in their backyard. It hurt her deeply knowing that she would never see her friends again, that they would grow up and slowly forget about her as she would forget about them. Her mother had said to her: "You'll make new friends in our new town". The girl had believed her but knew that they wouldn't be best friends as her friends in that little town she had called her home for nineteen years. She was sure of it because they hadn't grown up together only living a couple of houses apart. They didn't know her like the people in that small town; people who would always greet her with a happy voice and a smile on their friendly faces. Those were the people she saw as friends, as family.

She would miss that small town but she knew she had to part with it and she had come to peace with that. The only thing she could do at that moment, was say goodbye.

"Goodbye", she softly whispered through her tears. "Goodbye small town that has always been my home. Thank you for raising me and showing me how to stand on my own two feet. Goodbye, Birmingham. I will miss you with my whole, entire heart".

---------------------------------------------------------------------