Chapter 6

(This chapter is about the Halloween carnival St. Vlad's throws, if you haven't read Vampire Academy 10th Edition yet then it might not make sense. I recommend reading it but if you don't the carnival is something St. Vlad's throws during Halloween. It's a tradition that there is a scavenger hunt that students sign up for there they steal property of the teachers of the school. It is against school rules and only some students secretly participate in it)

After the blip in the clinic things had gone completely back to normal. Maybe both James and I wanted to completely forget about it. Maybe the whole incident had just been him being protective and me being thankful and our emotions had just gotten confused. The one thing I was certain of was that I did not have any romantic feelings for James nor did James for me.

"You're coming to the carnival tonight right?"

"No," I looked up from my book at James who was giving me that startled look he did whenever he thought something that came through the bond and I heard it as him saying it out loud, "Sorry, I'm working on it," I apologized.

"Why aren't you going?"

"You know why,"

He rolled his eyes "Tell me you're not doing that stupid scavenger hunt again,"

"Hey, the prizes are big this year,"

He raised an eyebrow "What could possibly be worth detention?"

"Uh shitty boxed wine?" I said and he rolled his eyes.

"Why don't you just come to the carnival with me? Aren't I better than cheap wine?"

"Your even better than nice wine. You can share it with Marcus and Andrea and me when we win it,"

"If you win it,"

"Ouch, you wound me,"

"I'll buy you funnel cake," he sang in an attempt to persuade me.

"Tempting, but we're already signed up, I can't let Marcus and Andrea down now,"

"It's immature and irresponsible,"

"You sound like one of the teachers. You aren't going to rat me out are you?" Of course I already knew he wouldn't.

"No,"

"Great. I have to go get ready but I promise I will share my shitty boxed wine with you,"

Halloween had always been my favorite time of year, who didn't love costumes and free candy? But this year I had had a lot on my mind and hadn't had time to pull together a decent costume time. I threw apart my room looking for something that would make me look like an innocent carnival goer. They had been trying to crack down on the scavenger hunt since my mom was in school but hadn't managed to rid the school of it yet.

I eventually found an old cat ear headband that I had probably bought when I was 12 and paired it with a pair of black skinny jeans and a tight black shirt with combat boots. I took out some eyeliner and drew three lines on either side of my mouth to imitate whiskers. I looked in the mirror and smiled at my handy work. Cute but also easy enough to move around in.