31. Midnight

"Ugh" I groan as I look down at my phone and see a text from Riley. Josh walks into the living room and plops down onto the couch beside me, looking over my shoulder in curiosity.

"What?" he asks worriedly.

"Riley texted me" I sigh, handing him my phone. He quirks an eyebrow as he reads the message before looking back at me curiously. The message was detailing an office party for New Year's but after my Christmas filled with fighting with Josh I really didn't feel like going. "I don't think I'm gonna go" I say as I take my phone back from him.

"Why?" he questions. "Don't say no on account of me" he says. I shake my head as I place my phone onto the table beside me.

"I'm not. I just don't feel like going. Especially because Matt is gonna be there" I sigh, running my fingers through my hair.

"And what? You don't trust yourself?" he questions. Anger starts to bubble up inside me but I calmly shake my head.

"I trust myself completely" I reply.

"Then why don't you go?" he questions. "All you gotta do is stay away from him. That shouldn't be hard if you're still as serious about us as you say you are" he says seriously.

"Fine" I give in as I stand up. "I'm gonna go take a shower. Are you sure you'll be okay with Emma on your own tonight?" I ask. He nods and I sigh before walking off to the bathroom. I was starting to think that even with our best efforts that Josh and I were destined to break up. It seemed that even with me agreeing to put Matt behind me we still couldn't find our way back to each other. It was heartbreaking and the last thing I wanted to do was give up. I take a quick shower and change into a sparkly gold dress with a slit up the leg. I strap on a pair of black stilettos and head into the bathroom to do my makeup when Josh wanders into the room.

"Hey May-." He stops midsentence when he sees me. I turn to face him and a smirk pulls at my lips.

"Yes?" I ask innocently.

"You're wearing that?" he gapes. "Don't you think that's a bit much?" he questions as I stalk towards him.

"I do" I admit. "I was actually counting on you taking it off of me" I add causing his eyes to widen as I grab the hem of his shirt. "I miss you. I miss us" I whisper as knock on our door causes us to pull apart. Josh moves to open the door as I kick off my shoes. Emma wanders in and a smile pulls at her lips.

"I can't find my princess dress" she informs us. "Lily's gonna wanna wear it" she says making me furrow my eyebrows as I look at Josh.

"Lily?" I question.

"Riley is dropping Lily off tonight. She's taking Lucas to the party. That's what I was coming in here to tell you" he explains. I nod in understanding as I look down at my daughter.

"Mommy are you staying home tonight?" she asks hopefully. "I wanna have a tea party" she explains making a smile pull at my lips. Truth be told, I was going to stay home anyway. I nod and a grin spreads across my daughter's face.

"Yay" she exclaims as she rushes over to me. "Thanks mommy."

"Of course baby girl" I smile, reaching down to kiss the top of her head. She rushes out of our room and I turn to Josh.

"You're staying home?" he asks surprised.

"I was always staying home" I reply honestly. "I was just letting you think I was going out and then I was going to surprise you by staying home. I really don't want to go. We fought all through Christmas. I miss you. I miss us being us. I want to spend the night here with you and our daughter. I want to get us back" I say seriously causing a smile to pull at his lips as he pulls me into his arms.