A Bit of Irony to Darken the Mood

(Y/N)
"Something is coming. Something hungry for blood," Mike says. "A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness. It is almost here."

"What is it?" Will asks the question burning inside me.

"What if it's the Demogorgon?" Dustin says.

I bite my lip. "It probably is. And we are so screwed if it's the Demogorgon." When you're playing Dungeons & Dragons, nothing good ever happens when you're facing the Demogorgon.

"It's not the Demogorgon!" Lucas says.

"An army of troglodytes charge into the chamber!" Mike says, slamming the figurine down on the table. I mentally sigh that it wasn't the Demogorgon.

"Troglodytes?" Dustin scoffs.

"Told you!" Lucas says, always proud of being right. We laugh and roll our eyes, all except Mike.

"Wait a minute . . . ," he says. "Did you hear that? That . . . that sound. . . ." He looks around the room, suspiciously, and honestly scaring me. I know it's just a game, but we take it very seriously. "Boom . . . boom . . . boom!" He slams his hand on the table, jumping all four of us. "That didn't come from the troglodytes. No, that . . . that came from something else." He slams another figurine on the table. "The Demogorgon."

I groan. "I told you!"

"Crap!" Lucas exclaims.

"We're in deep shit," Dustin says.

"Will, your action!" Mike presses.

"I don't know!" Will admits.

"Fireball him!" Lucas says.

"I'd have to roll a thirteen or higher!" Will counters.

"Too risky," Dustin says.

"Cast a Protection spell," I suggest.

"Don't be a pussy. Fireball him!" Lucas says.

"Cast Protection!" Dustin argues.

"Protection is less dicey!" I chime in.

Mike hits the table again, regaining our attention. "The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering! It stomps towards you! Boom!"

"Fireball!" Lucas says.

"Another stomp! Boom!"

"Protection!" Dustin and I say in unison.

"He roars in anger!"

We continue fighting until Will, much to my dismay, says, "Fireball!" and rolls the die across the table. It falls off into who-knows-where, and we spring up to chase after it.

"Where is it?" Lucas asks.

"I don't know!" Will says.

"Is it a thirteen?" Dustin asks.

"I don't know!" Will repeats.

"Where is it?" I say, the agony of wondering killing me.

"Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God," Dustin says repetitively.

"Can you find it yet?" Lucas asks.

"No, I can't find it!" Will says, and I feel bad they're pestering him like this.

We're in too much mayhem to notice Mike's mom repeatedly calling to him, causing her to come downstairs with one last "Mike!"

I stop to watch him look up at her and say, "Mom, we're in the middle of a campaign!"