In a World Full of Tens

(Y/N)
"Is there a number we can call for your parents?" Mike asks the girl. We brought her to his house to try and help her, but she hasn't been too helpful.

"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin asks.

"Dustin!" I reprimand, hitting his arm.

"Did you run away?" Lucas asks.

"Are you in some kind of trouble? Mike asks.

"Is that blood?" Lucas asks. He reaches out to touch her and Mike slaps his hand away.

"Stop it! You're freaking her out!" he says.

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas says.

"I bet she's deaf," Dustin says.

"Okay, guys. Saying to her and asking her so many things at once isn't helping," I say. I kneel down to her slowly and carefully, not wanting to scare her more than she already is. "Mike, why don't you get her some clean clothes? She seems awfully cold."

He grabs clothes from the laundry basket and hands them to the girl.

"You wait here and I'll take her into the bathroom and help her, okay?" I say. I lead her to the bathroom. When I start to close the door, she stops it with her hand. "You don't want it closed?"

"No," she utters.

"Oh, you do speak." I smile warmly. "How about this?" I close the door mostly, leaving it ajar. "Is that better?"

"Yes," she says.

Mike
"This is mental," Dustin says.

"At least we heard she can talk," I say.

"She said 'no' and 'yes'. Your three-year-old sister says more," Lucas says. "There's something seriously wrong with her. Like, wrong in the head." He taps his forehead. "I bet she escaped from Pennhurst."

"From where?" I ask.

"The nuthouse in Kerley County," he says.

Dustin smiles. "You got a lot of family there?"

"Bite me."

"Seriously, though," Lucas says, "think about it. That would explain her shave hair and why she's so weird. She's an escapee is the point. She's probably a psycho."

"Like Michael Myers," Dustin says.

"Exactly! We shouldn't have brought her here! And now she's in an enclosed space with (Y/N) and she could do God-knows-what!"

"So you just wanted to leave her out in that storm?" I ask.

"Yes! We went out to find Will, not another problem."

"I think we should tell your mom," Dustin says.

"I second that," Lucas says.

"Who's crazy now?" I ask.

"How is that crazy?" Lucas asks.

"'Cause we weren't supposed to be out tonight, remember?" I say.

"So?"

"So if I tell my mom, and she tells your mom and your mom,"—I look to Dustin—"and (Y/N)'s mom . . ."

"Oh, man," Dustin says.

"Our houses become Alcatraz," Lucas says.

"Exactly," I say. "We'll never find Will. So here's the plan—she'll sleep here tonight."

"You're letting a girl—," Dustin starts.

"Just listen! In the morning, she sneaks around my house, goes to the front door, and rings my doorbell. My mom will answer and know exactly what to do. She'll send her back to Pennhurst or wherever she comes from. We'll be totally in the clear. And tomorrow night, we go back out. And this time, we find Will."