Friends Tell the Truth

Eleven
I walk upstairs. I walk around one room. I look at some pictures. I recognize one of the girls.

Nancy
I find my way to the lunch table and take my seat next to Steve. Tommy and Carol are arguing about whether or not the red blotch on Carol's foot is frostbite.

"Hey, Tommy, when you left did you see Barb?" I ask.

"What?" he asks.

"Barbara," I say. "She's not here today."

"I seriously have no idea who you're talking about." He snorts and Carol chuckles.

"Come on; don't be an ass, man," Steve says. "Did you see her leave last night or not?"

"No, she was gone when we left," he says.

"Probably couldn't stand listening to all that moaning," Carol says. She mimics the "moaning". "Oh! Oh, Steve! Oh, Steve! Oh, Steve! Oh, Steve!" Tommy joins in on the mocking and can I just say that I am not impressed. {For those of you who hate this scene—or any scene with Tommy and Carol being their assy selves—check out this link: https://www.buzzfeed.com/caseyrackham/tommy-and-carol-from-stranger-things-are-the-worst?utm_term=.tkzgAWDAb#.tmPrDwODy)

"Okay, chill," Steve says. "Listen, I'm sure she's fine. She's probably just . . . She's probably just, like, skipping or something."

"Yeah," I say. "Yeah, probably." "Skipping", because that's something Barb would do,

I look out the door of the cafeteria and catch the gaze of Jonathan Byers. We stare at each other for a few seconds before he keeps walking.

(Y/N)
We look around the schoolyard for rocks to use in the slingshot—er, "wrist rocket".

"So, do you think Eleven was born with her powers, like the X-Men, or do you think she acquired them, like Green Lantern?" Dustin asks.

"She's not a superhero," Lucas says. "She's a weirdo."

"Why does that matter?" Mike asks. "The X-Men are weirdos."

"If you love her so much, why don't you marry her?" Lucas asks.

It feels odd, but I feel a pang of jealousy. Does he really love her? Why do I care so much?

"What are you talking about?" Mike asks.

"Mike, seriously?" Lucas says.

"What?" he asks.

"You look at her all like, 'Hi, El! El! El! El! I love you so much!'" Lucas hugs Mike and Mike pushes him off.

"Come on, dude, he's saving himself for (Y/N)," Dustin says.

"Shut up, Dustin!" Mike says.

"Yeah, shut up, Dustin!" a voice says, that voice turning out to be Troy, accompanied by James. "What are you losers doing back here?"

"Probably looking for their missing friend," James says.

"That's not funny!" I snap. "It's serious! He's in danger!"

"I had to break it to you, Pussywillow, but he's not in danger," Troy says. "He's dead. That's what my dad says. He said he was probably killed by some other queer." He and James laugh. I shake with anger, trying to restrain myself from doing anything.

"Come on. Just ignore them," Mike says. As he walks by the two idiots, Troy {why does it want me to change "Troy" to "Troi"} sticks his foot out and Mike trips.

"Watch where you're going Frogface," he says before walking off with James.

"You okay?" Lucas asks as Mike gets up.