Chapter 11

Justine

"Justine, are you excited about going sailing today? This will be my first time on our boat, without my father. I'm glad you agreed to accompany me." Brandon inquired, as he put his shades on.

"I'm delighted to see The Corwin V—I've heard so much about it. I heard it was your father's pride and joy. I'm honored that you sought my company." I tried to sound more formal, and not reveal how eager I was to be with him.

We arrived at the marina and parked our cars. I spotted the Corwin V, and was blown away by its overpowering presence by the dock. What a jaw dropping boat. I was in awe, as the boat bobbed up and down. It swayed sided to side in the water at the marina. Brandon took my hand and led me on board.

I got an official safety lesson, and put on a life jacket. I can't swim and I wanted to be safe. It was a beautiful summer day. The sky was painted a brilliant shade of blue. The clouds looked like fluffy white pillows.

It was a perfect day to be out on the water. It felt like an escape.

I don't know nautical terminology, but it was an invigorating experience. I loved the sensation of the boat gliding. And bouncing up and down, as it sliced through the water.

My sense of sight, hearing, and smell were heightened, as sounds of seagulls filled the air. Nothing beat the scent of the salt water.

And nothing could compare to the tranquility, and peace I felt sailing. I loved the feel of the wind blowing through my hair, after I let it flow loosely. It was exhilarating.

The guys loved taking turns sharing their memories of sailing, with their dad. He taught them how to fish, and they were fuzzy in their recollection of who caught the largest fish.

It was great watching three grown brothers become little boys, for a brief moment in time. The bond that they share is wonderful and it was thrilling to watch their facial expressions.

They had us in stitches, doubled over in pain—we laughed so hard. I heard about them singing their father's favorite song: Sailing, by Christopher Cross.

Brandon, blasted the song from the speakers connected to the iPod. We all got a tear in our eye, that song is so beautiful.

He sat with his back to me, looking out over the horizon. I leaned toward him and spoke for his ears only. "Is everything okay? I started noticing last night, that something is bothering you,"

He turned around to face me, with his face kissed by the sun. He bent his head and placed a soft lingering kiss on my lips—he caught me by surprise. Everything around me ceased to exist. Brandon didn't utter a sound, he just looked at me tenderly. 

In that moment, I felt like I would fall overboard. . . .

Chance, Avalon, Alex, and Megan all sat there gaping at us.

I guess they were just as stunned by Brandon kissing me, as I was.

Brandon whispered in my ear. "Thank you for caring, I really appreciate you asking. I'll tell you the story later . . . for now let's enjoy the day," he leaned back, scooted closer, and put his arm around me.

I was on cloud 9 . . . I couldn't even feel my face.

Brandon

I woke up this morning out of sorts, and pensive over my breakup with Jen. It really bothered me the way things ended between us.