Chapter 15

Brandon

We're finally on our way back home. Justine, is sleeping like a baby in the passenger seat of my car. I can't believe—I have come to adore this woman. She almost put me in the hospital today.

I came home early today—on a Friday, with flowers for her. I've been so busy for the past month. I've been sorting out my feelings for Jen, and feeling guilty for my growing attraction to Justine. I put distance between us . . . to think. But I couldn't ignore her forever.

My mother told me Justine left the safety of her house this morning, and went back to her old apartment in the Bronx. Is she insane? I wanted to have her and my mother committed for psychiatric evaluation.

This woman has changed my life, from the moment I found her on the run from her father. She has brought a whole new dimension, I never imagined.

I went after her today, and saw her on the sidewalk staring down John McKay. I thought my heart would leap out of my chest. It was exactly what I had feared, but she boldly stood her ground and was so impressive.

I think I fell in love with her at that very moment. I would protect her at all cost.

Without thinking, I stepped between her and her father. I was not afraid of him any longer, I felt valiant.

"Is there a problem Mr. McKay?" I spoke up unflinching before this lunatic.

"If it isn't Brandon Corwin, Attorney at Law? There's no problem at all son, I was just having a friendly conversation." He motioned innocently, as if this was a normal day.

"Well, your conversation is now over. If you would like to speak to Miss McKay in the future, you will do so through me. Are we clear, Mr. McKay?" I quickly stood between him and Justine, blocking any further discussion.

I didn't want him near hear. I added that she was my client as an extra protective measure.

"You Corwins are so bossy—lighten up. Just tell your brothers to have my check ready, pay to the order of cash." He got in his car and sped off.

I was so relieved I arrived when I did—Justine was unharmed. Her beautiful face reminded me, I could not stand to lose her.

"What were you thinking when you left my mother's house, Justine?" I was trying not to yell.

"Hello Corwin, I'm fine thank you for asking. How are you? Someone really needs to teach you manners." She spoke dryly.

"I came to pick you up, and I find you on the sidewalk talking to John McKay. You were on the run from him." I reminded her. At that point I was beyond annoyed.

She had the audacity to stand there talking about my manners, at a time like this.

"Who knows what could have happened, if I hadn't showed up! You want to discuss my manners? Please forgive me, Milady." My jaw tightened in frustration.

"Honestly Corwin, thank you for your intervention. You have to stop getting so worked up. I see you are back in the private investigation business." She noted sarcastically.

I would have laughed, but this was serious. Who is this woman with nerves of steel?

"I'm on my way to work, I got my old waitress job back. Can you give me a ride to work?" She was really pushing it, and didn't care.