Epilogue

I decided to write an epilogue, kay? Kay.

Epilogue

Alan's Point of View

"Feels like forever is crashing down on me..."

December 25, 2013

We'd been touring almost the entire year, and had little to no time at home at all. The first time we were home for more than 2 hours was today; Christmas, the anniversary of Bree's death.

Austin was sitting on the couch of my apartment, texting this girl that Bree had tried to set him up with for almost a year. They finally got in contact, and have been dating since June. "You don't have to go if you don't want, man." He stated, putting his phone in his pocket.

"I have to. I haven't been there since the funeral." I replied, and realized how horrible that sounded. I was just scared to go, though.

"Either way, I'm going right now. Either get in the car or don't." It might've sounded like he was being an ass, but he really wasn't. I had been having an internal war since we got home 3 days ago, and put this off since the minute we landed.

"Fine." I said, following him out to his car. We drove the short distance to the cemetery, and it seemed that my stomach dropped an inch for every turn we made. I knew Austin felt the exact same way.

We finally got to the cemetery, and he drove the car along the path until we got as close as we could. I shoved open the door, and shuffled to her headstone. The grass had grown beautifully over it. It surprised me when I noticed piles paper and pictures stacked around her headstone. I bent down, and picked up the closest piece of paper, and read it over quickly. Along with adding ornaments to the tree that commemorated Mitch, people had left notes for Bree, telling her what a great person she seemed to be. People also printed out pictures on the internet of Bree with different people, most likely from her social media profiles.

Austin cleared his throat from behind me. I whipped my head around, and he held out a piece of paper. I reached out, and grabbed it carefully. It turned it over, and it was actually a picture. It was the last picture that was taken of Bree and I. It was at Kellin's Christmas party last year. Bree was on my back, with her arms around my neck, and her cheek pressed against mine. Her fringe was hanging in her face, and she had a stupid grin on her face. Her blue eyes were glowing in the dim light. I had my hand around her thighs, holding her up, and I think that was the last thing I actually looked happy.

"How'd you know?" I asked.

"Madii texted me this morning." he shrugged. He pulled two more pictures from his pocket, and showed them to me. The first one was of the two of them. Squidgy was resting on her head and she was crossing her eyes, and sticking her tongue out while grinning. Austin had his arm around her shoulders, laughing at her expression. The second was of Bree and Mitch.

"It was at one of Mitch's first concerts," Austin explained. "He brought her on stage, and introduced her to the crowd, saying she was his inspiration. She started crying; it was the best moments of her life, she said." He quickly ran back to his car, and pulled something heavy looking from he trunk, then ran back over to me. "So I bought this." It was kind of like a headstone, but not. It had three spots carved in perfect squares on it, and they were surrounding words. The best of moments with the best of friends, it said.

Austin took the pictures from my hand, removed little panes of glass from the carved out spots, and set the pictures in there neatly. He then looked at me expectantly. I quickly grabbed one side of the slab of marble, and helped him position it perfectly between the two headstones. We both stood up, and admired our work.

"I'll leave you to it." he said, patting my back, and walking to the car.

I say down right in front of her headstone, and began talking to her. "Hey, Bree. We miss you. You're in a better place, though. Hopefully, I mean. Anyways, the last year has been pretty sad, baby." I sighed. "We did tour the entire time, so it wasn't too much of a bummer. I really wish you could've gone with me. We went all over the world, and you would've loved it." I went on for god knows how long, telling her about touring, and everything, and asking her questions that I knew I'd never get answers to. I eventually tightened my jacket around myself. "Bye, I'll be back really soon." I said, stood up, and got back in the car.

"I went this morning, without you." Austin confessed. I just shrugged.

For the first time since a year ago today, I felt at ease. I felt as though she was watching over us, as cheesy as that sounded. I was at ease, and she was at peace.

-------

Now it's over. Yeah, I couldn't help but write this.......

Thanks to everyone who read this, and I hope you liked it.

xx Sarah (sarahisnotonfire)