The Crow.

The Swan & The Crow × The Tudors.

"There is a lust in man no charm can tame: Of loudly publishing his neighbour's shame: On eagles wings immortal scandals fly, while virtuous actions are born and die."
- William Harvey.

_____

15th August 1528

Hampton Court: Such a beautiful palace with crimson brick walls and decor fit for a King and Queen much like Henry Tudor and Catherine of Aragon. Every nobleman and noblewoman was dressed with elegance and so handsome Beth conjured all of England's pretty people reside behind these thick walls. Even with all the excitement, however, Elizabeth surmised on the scandalous whispers. The greed that which followed. And the lust flowing within the hot air.

Two days had come and gone since Elizabeth Valentine made her way to Hampton Court where she encountered The Queen and King of England for the first time.

A ball had been held with a grand feast and merry music to dance freely. Men flirted with Beth and young women glared at her with jealousy. Even the King could not keep his eyes away from Beth. She made sure to avoid any eye contact with Henry as locking eyes with a man could give the wrong impression. An invention Beth wanted no part in.

That night felt warm, lasting for hours on in but once Court life went back to normal, Beth could not help but notice how cold the palace seemed. Once long crowded corridors filled with young noblemen and women now reside to politicians, servants, and messengers. Bustling about without any care whatsoever. With all of its excitements, Beth began to itch for her challenges to begin.

***

"I can't sleep," Beth murmured to herself while sitting up from her four-poster bed on the eve of her third night in the palace. She threw her thick duvet off of her bare body and ran her fingers through her thick silky silver hair; Combing out any knots as she did so. Fire hiss and sputter inside the mouth of a charming fireplace, keeping her bed-chamber cosy and bright.

Sitting inside of a room with no company could not do for Elizabeth. So Beth stepped out of bed, pulled her nightgown over her curvy body, and carefully unfolds a hooded cloak trimmed with fur given to her by Catherine of Aragon as a gift for her arrival to court. Her fingers laced the emerald cloak onto her shoulders and like a cat, slipped from her chambers into the darkness. With every step she took, Beth became mesmerized by the elegance of each hall. Walls were cloathed with tapestries telling stories without any words. The floors all wood but waxed to hold a glint either from the sun bleeding through the long windows or from the candles keeping these halls dimly lit.

Only late-night servants and overworked men walked the corridors at such a time. Passing the small figure with nothing more but simple glances of admiration and curiosity. Too tired to even question why a woman like herself would be out of her chambers so late at night.

Beth did not fret over this—she prayed no one would utter a single word her way. Her father told Beth to be careful with anyone who might seem innocent. Not all - if any - were good.

Alas, once Beth grew tired of wandering endless corridors and passages, the sound of single footsteps trot around the corner as she headed back to the Guest Apartments. Beth raised her eyes to see a man wearing all black. His hair curly and his face relaxed. This man looked familiar but she could not remember his name. Just as she had seen him before, he hugged what looked like a folder filled with important documents close to his chest and as he grew nearer, those icy blue eyes snapped onto Beth. Causing the young woman to lower her head. This mans stare was hot like daggers, stabbing her in the chest.