My Swollen Heart.

Weeks had gone by after given the title Parliamentary Sectary; Elizabeth spent most of her time with Thomas or studying the scrolls and textbooks she had been given. Phillip barely saw his daughter and when he did, the older Valentine noticed Elizabeth's beaming face as she placed her gentle eyes onto Thomas. Something was there, Philip knew that much as he witnessed his daughter blossom into a new person.

As many do, those around the family whispered. Unsure why a girl like Elizabeth managed to snake her way into Parliament. A girl with no experience, with little awareness of court - nothing of the sort. However, many thought the same as Cromwell. The King must have gone mad with desperation to trust an impoverished peasant and damsel in distress with such titles. Surely.

Their mouths gossiped behind closed doors. Quick and silent. Only their ear could hear the opinions, accusations, and retorts in privacy. But with so much talk in isolation, those who felt uneasy with the king's choice, kept their busy viewpoints to themselves as to not press the King of England.

Even Wendy Miller kept her head low. The marks from Elizabeth's nails a dull reminder not to cross that bridge ever again.

As time went on, despite her change, Elizabeth still saw no progress with Henry's divorce and Wolsey walked around Hampton Court as If he owned the palace. Catherine still, unfortunately, the queen. Elizabeth saw a glimpse of Henry's anger. Many feared his tantrums; Elizabeth, however, in her deepest darkest thoughts, saw an opportunity. Anger always got things done.

One evening, Elizabeth and Cromwell stood before their king. The young man held his forehead as the tip of his quill scratched his signature across a document handling the economic crisis in the south. Elizabeth took a chance to watch Cromwell closely.

She remembers their first kiss and the ones that followed after. She wished to steal another, just one more to tie her over. As her hands fiddled behind her, Elizabeth hoped to catch Cromwell's gaze, yet the lukewarm gentleman is steady. His stare comes off to be desolate as if to peer right through the king. Deep in thought no doubt.

Elizabeth surveyed the back of his jawline as his lips tighten in notion. Causing the muscles behind his fair skin to contract. Then, finally, after innocently darting her gaze in between Henry and Thomas, Cromwell took one chance to glance over his shoulder. Their longing stares connect for only a moment. Enough to allow a smile to slither onto Cromwell's lips.

"This is exhausting," Henry murmurs whilst handing over the signed paperwork towards Cromwell. "All of this for what? They still want Catherine as their Queen and speak falsely about Mistress Anne. Yet, I am supposed to keep them merry."

Cromwell slowly placed the thick parchment into his folder, opening his mouth to speak his mind;

"May I say something, Your Majesty?" Cromwell questions.

Henry waves his hand, not looking up from the next boring writing about a rise near Edinburgh.

"I have many resources who could help His Majesty with his problem. Friends if you would like to call them. I could send a word out in favour of Anne - perhaps convenience those with noble names to lean more towards Anne. And support the divorce."

Henry caught his eyes to study Cromwell. He hadn't properly examined the lesser much until recently. Cromwell's loyalty is refreshing and his intelligence surpassed those who were of blue blood. Henry took notice of this after Cromwell himself had pushed for the divorce more than Wolsey or his closest friend, Thomas More had ever done.