Hidden Darkness.

The Swan & The Crow x The Tudors.

"A strong woman builds her own world. She is one who is wise enough to know that it will attract the man she will gladly share it with."

- Ellen J. Barrier.

____

Thomas Cromwell sat by the fire with one foot perched on his knee, leg bent at an angle to form a place thoroughly read notes given by Elizabeth Valentine. The first thing he noticed was Beth's handwriting. The way her R's curved and kicked out, unique. He then noticed how brilliant each note had been written. Captivating him with just simple words. With so much thought, passion, and process only a King could do.

Who is this woman?

Leaning back, hand keeping his tilted hand in place, Thomas brows nearly touched. Anyone who saw him on the outside would think the man was not impressed but the reality, on the inside; Thomas found himself drawn. Never had he seen such an excellent piece of work from anyone.

"Father!"

Gregory Cromwell stepped inside of his families old sitting room where he found his father glaring down at a half-folded piece of parchment tucked between his fingers. Thomas raised his head and his glare disappeared.

"Gregory! What are you doing home so early?" Thomas exclaimed. He stood up with Beth's notes in hand just in time to catch Gregory's warm embrace. The father and son held one another for a short time until Thomas pulled away.

Gregory Cromwell was a skinny young man with straight brown hair and matching features of his father. Only his eyes reminded Thomas of his late wife, Elizabeth Cromwell neé Wyckes. Intelligent like Thomas, Gregory entered the University of Cambridge a few months before. The best education for his only living child. Gregory needed to be well educated and pampered for working life Thomas believed. He wanted his son to have the best opportunities, the best possible life. The best future Thomas could not reach until the beginnings of his third transformation of life.

"My tutors let me come home early. It is so good to see you father!" Gregory hugged his father once more and helped himself to a cup of ale. He then sat down in the chair across from Thomas. Quick to eye the notes in his father's hands, Gregory leant forward, jabbing his finger towards them. "Work-related? You've always been about work, father."

Thomas smiled at his son, taking a glimpse at the parchment. Deep down, Thomas wanted to keep Elizabeth's work to himself. Not to take her ideas, but so he could be the only soul to know what truly spun inside of her head. Perhaps, Thomas thought silently to himself, what he read with his own two eyes gave him admiration for Valentine.

Nonetheless, that did not stop him from pushing any positive thoughts away. No attachments. As much as he would like to truly trust the Valentine's, no one could fully be trusted.

Greed took hold of men easily. Women were just as troublesome.

For the rest of the night, Thomas and Gregory sat by the warm fire. Catching up on personal life and hopeful new beginnings. Every so often, Thomas looked upon Elizabeth's work eagerly.

Wanting to explore that mind just a bit longer.

**