The First Suspect

It was a new day

   It was a new day. Margo slept ten times better in her own bed, everything regarding friends had been resolved, and overall, she just felt good.

   She had woken up to the smell of bacon, an apology, she was sure, from Wilson. He was an amazing cook when he tried. 

   She had woken Betty and Veronica, all three of them had squeezed onto Margo's decently big, but not sized for three people, bed, by singing loudly until the shrill squeaking sound was too much for them to sleep through.

   The breakfast was good, Margo gave Wilson that, but they didn't have much of a chance to enjoy it as they were out of the house quickly so they would get to class on time.

   First period was biology and Margo relaxed next to Veronica while Betty was seated next to Kevin.

   "We're reviewing new systems of human biology--"  Dr. Phylum droned on and Margo wished for anything to happen to stop him from talking. He knew how to take anything fun out of everything.

   Cheryl was sitting with one of the Skimpy Squad members, which was what Kevin had nicknamed her entourage. When Margo entered laughing with Betty at Veronica's comment, something had flashed across Cheryl's face. A mix of hurt and something that Margo couldn't identify. She had flashed her friend a smile, and Cheryl smiled back, but it was missing something. 

   Dr. Phylum began to write on the board, but stopped when Principal Weatherbee entered with the sheriff at his heals.

   "You're here for me, aren't you?" Cheryl asked, standing. "Because of the autopsy?"

   "We don't need to do this in front of your classmates, Cheryl."

   "It's alright, Principal Weatherbee. They'll find out soon enough." She put her wrists together, as if she was waiting for handcuffs.

   "Now, that won't be necessary." The sheriff said.

   "Wait, Cheryl, find out what?" Veronica asked.

   "That I'm guilty." A stone dropped in Margo's stomach. She knew that Cheryl would never kill Jason, but what did she mean. What was she guilty of?

   Margo couldn't concentrate for the rest of the day. Her mind, like the minds of almost all of her classmates, was somewhere far away. 

   "This is crazy," Betty hissed to her in History. Cheryl hadn't been seen for the rest of the day, and Margo was kind of worried.

   "You're telling me," Margo muttered back, and glanced back at her computer when their teacher looked up from the papers that she was grading.

   "Don't talk," she said, the boredom obvious in her tone. Betty made a face and Margo held back a laugh.

   "This is crazy," Betty mused again.

***

   "So, are you a suspect now?" Margo was sitting with Veronica, Betty, Kevin, and Archie in the lounge when Veronica asked the question that they were all thinking.