Chapter 17: Don't Know What to Say

After finishing the last fan signing event that evening, Amber called her sister to ask if she could visit the next day.

"I'm so tired Jackie...I don't even want to move right now," Amber said with her eyes closed lying on her hotel bed, her phone on speakers.

"Amber, my friends just invited me on a trip to the Himalayas. I wanted to say yes but you don't come around that often so-"

"It's okay Jackie, you can go!" Amber cut her off. "I'll go find my own friends around here."

"Really?" Jackie sounded excited. "Cause it's the Himalayas I'm talking about, you know? You don't just go to the Himalayas every day!"

Amber knew how much her sister loved adventures. So she said, "Yeah! I'll be fine. We've already hung out yesterday, eating all the Mexican food and shopping and driving around L.A."

"Oh you don't know how much I love you meimei

"Oh you don't know how much I love you meimei. You just wait til next time I see you. I'm so going to squeeze your face into a ball and mess up your hair and kiss every inch of your face real hard." Amber wasn't really looking forward to that, but she laughed.

"I got lots to pack, mmph...ah, there you are...Better get started," said Jackie, pulling out a big rucksack on the other end of the phone.

"Okay bye, I love you," said Amber, her lips curling up at the ends.

"Love you too bye!"

Hmm, that meant she had four days to kill by herself...She might, no, she would eat as many tacos as she can and try out every boba ranch there was in LA, Amber thought, tapping her fingers on her phone. She wanted to play a bit of PokémonGo, but gave up when she saw how far the nearest Pokémon was. Perhaps time for a nap.

***

Amber woke up to the alarm she had set the day before but forgot to turn off, irritated. She groaned and reached for her phone, turning off the alarm. When she saw how late the time was, Amber walked out to the balcony to find that it was already dark. She looked down and saw the hotel swimming pool glowing with a blue neon light. Quite a number of people were standing by the pool, which had cool floats of different shapes, those you would see on Instagram. She decided to go for a dip before leaving the hotel.

Looking at the dark, dark sky, she thought about her childhood days spent in the country where countless stars were always twinkling and blinking at her as she lied on the grass trying to connect them into a constellation. Most of the time it was Orion the hunter, which has three bright stars(known as the Three Sisters, but Amber liked to think of them as herself, Jackie and her mum)aligned in the middle forming his belt. She was starting to miss her mum who had taught her about the constellations and what they meant. Maybe she would give her a visit first, after all, she promised...

Without realising, she started singing her mother's favourite song, '至少还有你(At Least I Still Have You)'. Suddenly, Amber noticed out of the corner of her eye the upper body of some guy floating mid-air, looking at her. Terrified, she murmured prayers under her breath and turned very slowly around to face it.