36| No Way Back

I didn't know how long I sat in the corner like that

I didn't know how long I sat in the corner like that. It could have been several hours for all I knew. But at one point I must have passed out from sleep deprivation, because I opened my eyes and I was laying on the mattress curled up on my side. It felt like glue had dried in my veins and muscles, and it was a struggle to sit up, or even move. I was also surprised that I didn't have any nightmares with my Lunar Wing having been confiscated and all.

   Blinking hazily and aching all over from sleeping in that horrible position, I slowly got off the bed and took in my surroundings. Everything was still the same. The same, nearly empty space. What the hell was I supposed to do in here?

   Investigate, Meteor suggested. Mysterious doors are always interesting.

   Rolling my eyes, I walked across the room and opened the wooden door. Flicking on the lights, I was greeted with a full bathroom, shower and all. I wasn't sure whether I should scowl or laugh. I was imprisoned against my will, but at least Valerie took my personal upkeep into consideration. And she chose this over anything that could actually help me pass the time. Thoughtfulness at its finest. But what did I expect from a murderer?

   At that thought, sorrow began to overtake me again and I felt my eyes pricking with gathering tears. But before I could descend into grieving, my stomach noisily prompted me that I hadn't eaten in ages. The last time I had anything to eat or drink was early in the morning before Faye and I left for Rustboro.

You think they'll bring you food? Meteor asked, sensing my new discomfort.

I have no clue. I couldn't help but give the sink faucet a longing look, thinking about how dry my throat was. I reluctantly decided to give in. Sacrificing the last of my dignity, I quenched my thirst by drinking cupped handfuls of water from the sink. It did nothing to satisfy my hunger. If anything, it made it worse knowing the sheer lack of sustenance I had just consumed. If this isn't desperation, then I don't know what is, I thought, wiping my mouth.

   It's called self-preservation, my partner corrected.

I couldn't care less about what it really was. Having no reason to remain in the bathroom, I reentered the main part of the cell and laid back down on the bed.

   Well, now you have all the time in the world to talk to me, don't you? We haven't had that much time in the past couple weeks, Meteor said. He made no attempt to be humorous with these words, knowing the severity of the situation we were both in.

   ...

   Orbit's presence shifted in emotion, becoming equal measures reassuring and sad. I was positive they would have contributed to the conversation if they could speak.