40| The Tide Returns

The next morning, or afternoon to be more exact, I awoke on Faye's couch to the sound of scuffling in the kitchen

The next morning, or afternoon to be more exact, I awoke on Faye's couch to the sound of scuffling in the kitchen. Figuring it was just Faye, I was tempted to go back to sleep but became fully awake when I heard a pair of rather familiar voices talking.

   "Should I wake him up now?"

   "Let him get up on his own, Winnie. He probably hasn't had a full night's sleep in weeks."

   Winnie? I sat bolt upright, looking towards the kitchen. My eyes widened. "Wallace? Winona?!" I exclaimed the half-siblings' names, catching their attentions.

   "Steven, you're awake!" Winona cried happily, running into the living room and throwing herself at me for a hug. It was a blow to the chest that knocked the wind from me, but I happily returned the gesture before glancing up at Wallace. He kept his distance from where I was, almost like he was afraid to approach me. And after what happened between us the last time we "talked," I didn't exactly want to be near him either.

   "Hey..." he said uncomfortably.

  I returned the greeting with a nod. "It's been quite a bit of time, hasn't it?" I said.

   "Three months," he answered, looking away while tucking a loose strand of sea-green hair behind his ear.

   Winona glanced back and forth between us. "I'll leave you guys alone." She stood up and went into the dining room, an area of the house that was actually its own room.

   Wallace and I said nothing still for a minute more. He then sighed. "Okay, I'll say it now. I'm sorry."

   I frowned. "Are you, now?" I asked skeptically.

   "Yes, I am. I've regretted everything I said every day since we split up. And I know, I don't have any excuses for the way I acted. I was in a bad mood, took it out on you, didn't try to take or even consider your suggestions, and instead insulted you. I was just an overall ass! I'm sorry! Could you forgive me, please?" he borderline begged, his eyes wide and pleading.

   Skepticism and uncertainty clashed within me. I really did want to accept his apology since I didn't want us to ever separate like that, but I had been hurt by what he said. He had certainly made his case with his... colorful choice of words, but was he honestly being, well, honest? It seemed that way. Or perhaps it was because he was giving me Lillipup eyes. And it wouldn't be right to cling to spite or hold a grudge. Condemn our friendship, or try to revive it?

  "It's a tad unorthodox by my standards when it comes to apologies but..." I tried to smile. "I'll accept it. You're forgiven. I understand that you were in a tough spot there, that's why I'm saying this." I had a gut feeling that I made the right decision.