~*9*~ No More Attachments

Chapter 9

Asher's POV

I'm not sure how long I've been lying in this bed. I can't seem to force myself out of this darkness. It swarmed me from all around. I was smack dab in the middle, bored out of my mind, lying here. I could hear voices sometimes, but rarely. So far, I knew Izzy, my mom and dad were in the room. Where was I, anyway? Home? Hospital? Fell asleep in class? Whatever it was, I couldn't force my eyes open. I couldn't get out of the dark. Literally.

I wondered if Izzy truly was okay with me punching her. I felt horrible for doing it, but it was the only way to get Four Hundred to stop pounding on me. There was no way I was going to just let him hit me like he was, but I really hadn't wanted to punch Izzy. I felt guilty, and though I had said sorry many times, I wish I could have stopped it. I may have died from Four Hundred's beatings, but life was a small price to pay to not cause harm to others.

With a small jolt, I realized I'd have to stay away from her and the others. The more I am around them, the more I'm dragging them into my world. They don't belong in my world. They're not strong enough to take it on. I internally sighed, since I couldn't outwardly. The first time I ever had friends, and they end up saving me from jumping off a bridge. If they had let me jump, I wouldn't be causing pain any longer.

Hysterical sobbing pierced through my ears suddenly, and I would have jerked in surprise if I could. It sounded like my mother, like the first time I had been in the hospital. It hadn't been that long ago, actually, maybe only ten months ago that I first started walking again. I had been in that hospital for a year and a half, and I was seriously sick and tired of them.

"It's been nine days!" Though it was far off, I could hear it pretty well. "He's never going to wake up! He'll just die and there's nothing I can do!"

That was my mother. What was she talking about? I wasn't dead. At least not yet, but I still had a little while to go. I continued to stare around the darkness, trying to search for some kind of light, but it was pitch black. If I could move my hand, I bet I wouldn't have been able to see it even if I put it right in front of me.

"He's still alive now, it's possible he'll wake up."

I don't know who that is. He sounds familiar - it's definitely a he - but I couldn't put a face to the voice. And searching in darkness didn't help. There was nothing but darkness.

"But you said if he wakes up in a week of more - if he wakes up at all - he would definitely die."

WHAT!? I've been asleep for nine days? What the h*ll! And was I NOT supposed to wake up or something? I was confused even more, trying to hear what they were saying. If only they would come closer. What did they mean that I would definitely die? What would happen to Eric? He would be devastated, I'm practically his idol. Other than Jared Leto, but that's another story.

"I know, but I did say he would probably wake up."

I was tired of their conversation now and stopped listening. Maybe I could try to wake up? I tried to open my eyes, but they barely moved a budge. Internally sighing in annoyance, I tried to move a muscle. Anything. I felt a finger twitch. Well that was a start, I guess. I focused on the muscle I had just moved and tried to move it again. It twitched again, but more noticeable. Wanting but failing to smile, I tried to clench my fist, and mentally beamed when I felt both of them close.

I unfurled my fists and tried to do something else. My left arm was twitching, moving in random directions, though I don't think my mom or that person noticed. So I stopped. I didn't want them to know I was awake while I could barely do anything, and disappoint them when I don't open my eyes.