Chapter 2

Chapter Two

The bushy-haired girl Evelyn had seen on the train stepped forward as her name was called.

"Okay... okay, relax..." Hermione whispered to herself, her nerves clearly on edge.

"Mental, that one... I'm tellin' ya," Ron muttered under his breath, earning a nod from Harry. Evelyn couldn't help but smile faintly at their exchange, but her attention was soon drawn back to the front as Hermione sat on the stool. The Sorting Hat was placed on her head, and for a tense moment, the entire hall seemed to hold its breath.

Then, with a confident shout, the hat called out, "GRYFFINDOR!" Hermione's face lit up with a smile as one of the tables burst into applause, welcoming her into their ranks. She quickly joined them, looking relieved and happy. As another name was called, Evelyn began to worry. What if all of her friends got into Gryffindor? The thought gnawed at her, a sinking feeling in her chest. She knew she wouldn't end up there; she could feel it deep down. What if they hated her for it? What if they left her behind? The anxiety twisted in her stomach, threatening to overwhelm her.

She was snapped out of her spiraling thoughts when a name caught her attention.

"Draco Malfoy."

Her eyes shifted to the boy with the piercing blue eyes and the sleek blonde hair as he confidently made his way to the stool. There was an air of arrogance about him that Evelyn found unsettling, but also intriguing. He seemed so sure of himself, so certain of where he belonged. The moment the Sorting Hat touched his head, it barely had time to settle before it shouted, "SLYTHERIN!"

Malfoy smirked, a look of smug satisfaction on his face, as he sauntered over to the Slytherin table, where the students were clapping in approval. Evelyn watched him go, feeling a strange mix of emotions. She didn't know much about him, but there was something about Malfoy that made her uneasy, something that set him apart from the others.

"There wasn't a witch or wizard who didn't go bad that wasn't in Slytherin," Ron muttered darkly beside her.

Evelyn's heart skipped a beat at his words. She had heard the same thing in whispers and stories, and it only made her dread the Sorting Hat's decision more. Ron was soon sorted into Gryffindor, earning cheers from his brothers at the table. It was no surprise to anyone, least of all to Ron himself, who grinned from ear to ear as he joined them.

Next was Harry. The entire hall went deathly still as his name was called. The anticipation was palpable, and Evelyn found herself holding her breath along with everyone else. Harry sat on the stool for what felt like an eternity, the Sorting Hat resting on his head, seemingly deep in thought. Finally, the hat bellowed, "GRYFFINDOR!" The hall erupted in applause. Harry grinned in relief and quickly took his seat next to Ron, who clapped him on the back with a proud smile.

Evelyn's heart pounded in her chest, her hands growing clammy. One by one, more students were sorted into their houses, but the names and faces blurred together as her anxiety mounted.

Finally, McGonagall's voice rang out clearly: "Evelyn Riddle!"

Ron and Harry smiled, their expressions full of encouragement, but Evelyn felt like the ground might give way beneath her. Her heart was pounding so hard she was sure everyone could hear it. Breathing became difficult as she forced herself to move forward, her legs feeling like lead.

The entire hall seemed to be watching as she sat on the stool, the hat descending onto her head. Almost instantly, she heard a voice hiss in her ear, startling her.

"Ah, a Riddle... Complex lineage, indeed," the Sorting Hat mused, its voice slithering through her thoughts. "But you are not your uncle, nor your father. I see loyalty, a sharp mind, and a desire to prove yourself. Yet, beneath it all, there's ambition and a thirst for knowledge. A unique blend, and not without challenges. You seek your own path, to make a mark of your own. Yes, there's only one place for you... SLYTHERIN!"