Chapter 3

Chapter Three

The next morning, Harry and Ron hurried into the Great Hall, their excitement for breakfast evident in their quick steps. As they took their seats at the Gryffindor table, they noticed that most students were already there, eating and chatting animatedly.

Harry's gaze wandered around the hall, taking in the grandeur of the enchanted ceiling and the lively atmosphere. His eyes landed on Evelyn, who was seated at the Slytherin table. She wore a green and silver tie, and her posture was rigid as she poked at her food with little enthusiasm.

Harry observed an older Slytherin student approaching Evelyn, a smug look on his face as he tried to strike up a conversation. Evelyn's response was sharp, and she snapped at him with an expression of annoyance. The older student huffed and turned away, leaving Evelyn alone again. It was clear to Harry that Evelyn was struggling to find her place in her house.

He shared his observation with Ron, who nodded in agreement. "She doesn't look happy at all. Maybe being in Slytherin isn't what she expected."

As they finished their breakfast, Harry, Ron, and Hermione left for their first class: Transfiguration. The morning passed quickly, filled with the excitement of new lessons and the anticipation of what was to come.

The next class was Potions. As the students shuffled into the dimly lit classroom, the atmosphere buzzed with a mixture of chatter and the clinking of cauldrons. Evelyn entered, scanning the room for an available seat. There were only a few left, and as she approached one of the remaining spots, Draco Malfoy's voice cut through the noise.

"Fancy joining me, Riddle?" Draco's tone was laced with condescension, though he made an effort to sound amiable.

Evelyn hesitated for a moment, feeling a mix of reluctance and resignation. She was already dreading the idea of spending the class next to Draco, but there was no other choice. With a sigh, she walked over to the seat next to him, trying to ignore the smirk that accompanied his invitation.

As she settled into the seat, Draco flashed her a smirk, his expression a blend of arrogance and curiosity. "Looks like we're stuck together for the next hour," he said with an exaggerated cheerfulness.

Evelyn gave a curt nod, her gaze drifting to the front of the classroom. She focused on arranging her supplies, determined to keep her interaction with Draco to a minimum.

Just as everyone was settling in, the door to the classroom burst open with a resounding bang. The students fell silent, turning their heads toward the entrance.

In the doorway stood a tall, imposing figure in black robes. His hair was greasy and unkempt, and his long, hooked nose gave him a menacing appearance. He strode into the room with an air of disdain, his dark eyes sweeping over the students with a critical gaze. Evelyn felt a sense of Relief as well as nerves as she recognized Snape.

"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the precise art of potion-making. However," Snape paused, his gaze sweeping over the Slytherins, "for those select few who possess the disposition for it, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can show you how to brew fame, bottle glory, and even put a stopper in death." His eyes then shifted to the Gryffindors, landing on Harry Potter, who was diligently taking notes.

"Then again," Snape continued, his tone dripping with disdain, "perhaps some of you have arrived at Hogwarts so confident in your own abilities that you feel no need to pay attention."

Hermione nudged Harry, who looked up to see Snape's scowl. Harry's brow furrowed, but he remained silent.

"Mr. Potter, our new celebrity," Snape said, his voice laced with sarcasm.  "Tell me," Snape went on, "what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Hermione's hand shot up eagerly, her excitement palpable. Harry glanced at her but said nothing.