Nineteen - Depression and Rainy Days

On the way to the eye doctor, Ray took Mason's cigarettes and threw them out the window.

"Yo, you know you coulda killed somebody like that?" he asked her.

"Well cigarettes can kill you Uncle Mas, it didn't hit anybody's windshield." she looked out of the mirror just to make sure.

"When we come back, Ray is takin the hump." Somi complained.

"When we come back you gon have ya new phone Citaa, you not gon give a shit where you sittin."

She shrugged, knowing it was true.

"Mas can we stop and get phone cases?" she asked him.

"You got gas money?"

"No, but Tae does."

"Y'all got this habit of volunteering me to pay for shit, it ain't funny."

"We need to go to his house to get his phone charger too, Mas." Somi added.

Montae looked up from his phone. "Nah, that's not necessary. I'll just buy a new one."

"Why would you buy a new one if you got one at home?" Mas asked him, looking at him through the rearview mirror. Somi leaned over and saw his battery was on ten percent. He had been using her charger since they got to the house but he didn't get it last night. "Where yo house at, we can go get it now. Their appointment ain't for another hour anyway."

Montae sighed and told Mas how to get to his house from where they were now. The truth was, he didn't want them to see where he lived because he sort of lied. The house didn't have the same number of bedrooms as theirs, it had eleven bedrooms and a modern treehouse that served as a mini apartment in the backyard. He lived in a literal mansion, but just like everything else, he didn't wanna make a big deal outta where he lived.

"Make a left down this road, " he told Mas. Mas made a left, turning down the street that was filled with huge mansions and expensive cars. "It's the one right there."

Everyone in the car was confused because this didn't look like a house with just seven bedrooms. Montae got out of the car and unlocked the front door, going inside. He went upstairs and got his charger and his Snoopy boxers out of his room and then got the money that was sitting on the kitchen table. He folded the boxers up and slid them in the pocket of his hoodie. Locking the front door back he went back down the porch steps and got back into the car.

It was quiet as they drove to the eye doctor. When they got there everyone went inside and Mas signed his son and niece in.

"So why you lie?" Kaleb asked Montae as he sat down in the seat next to him.

"About what?"

"About yo house dummy. That bitch way bigger than mine, why you say it was the same?"

"I'on know, I hadn't checked out the whole house before I told you. And then I didn't think it mattered." he said honestly.

"Mhm, ya mom left you apology money?"

"Yea, you want it?" he held the three hundred out to him.

"You'on want it?"

"Nah, I got enough."

"Give it to Tiara, did you give Lenci birthday money?"

"Oh yea, I didn't. Merk, happy birthday," he said as he handed her a hundred and fifty dollars. She stared at the money, then him, before slowly taking it.