Chapter 14

Aizawa and I arrived to U.A. early the next morning.

I had gotten little sleep that night due to the previous encounter with my mother, and from what I could tell, Aizawa didn't sleep much either. Even as we walked against the brisk morning air, it looked as if he was sleep walking. He'd sway back and forth, and occasionally lean on my shoulder for support.

"If you keep doing that," I say wearily, shooting him a warning look. "People will get the wrong idea."

Aizawa rolled his eyes. "Don't be stupid."

"Well," I shrugged. "It's suspicious enough that I go home with you instead of my father every afternoon."

"It's not like anyone notices," he yawned a reply. "Besides, you're like my own kid, just the thought of that is disturbing."

At that, I stopped my slow pace beside him and looked up. Noticing that I was no longer beside him, he peered over his shoulder to look at me, eyebrow raised.

"What's the matter?" He queried, darting his eyes around the vicinity.

"You see me as your child?" I asked, my voice coming out as a low whisper.

Aizawa stared for a moment longer before turning back toward the school entrance. "That's what I said, isn't it? Now let's go."

Blinking, I close the space between us and we begin walking again.

It was odd that someone like Aizawa could think of anyone in a positive light, let alone think of me as a daughter figure. I supposed that it was inevitable at this point; he had known me since I was born, and has been taking care of me for the past few days. Ensuring my safety as well as being an emotional outlet I could go to if I ever saw it necessary. I didn't know why, but the thought of that coming from him was comforting.

"Anyway," he began, pulling me away from my thoughts. "We'll be headed off campus for today's hero lesson."

"Oh?" I mused, glancing up to him.

"It's far fetched," Aizawa continued. "But I and your dad are concerned about your safety if you decide to come along."

I frowned at that. "I'm as safe there as I would be here. Actually, I may be safer wherever we're going, taking that the security gate here is broken."

Aizawa huffed as we entered the school building. "You make a valid point. USJ has a security system just like the one here, except it actually works."

"I figured."

Sending me a pointed look, Aizawa unlocked the classroom door and ushered me inside.

"So I assume that you're going and won't take 'no' for an answer?" Aizawa guessed, lazily sliding the door closed behind us.

I nodded in confirmation. "I won't let Nightmare prevent me from my education."

"I'd hardly call this education."

"Fine, I won't let Nightmare prevent me from this prestigious training opportunity!" I shot a fist in the air for emphasis.

"Smart ass."

"Paranoid."

Aizawa sent me a glare, to which I responded with a cheeky grin.