Chapter 18

I sat down in front of Mr. Stark. I have honestly never been more scared in my life.
"As you know, you broke the rules. You went to see Loki after Natasha specifically told you not to." He said.
I looked down and nodded. He's going to tell me I can't be in the Avengers! I just know it.
"But."
But? What could he have to say except for pack your things, you're going home?
"But, you also figured out the code to open the cell."
I looked up at him.
"How did you do that? You weren't down here when we put him in the cell. You couldn't have seen me put in the code. So how?"
I shrugged. I don't know what to say.
"I don't know."
"Yes, you do. The same was you figured out who Spider Man is. You can read people like a book. You can see what their truly thinking. It's laid out for you like words on a paper."
"I don't think I understand, I'm nothing special."
"Nikki, you have a special ability."
"What?! No. I don't. I'm that shy kid in the back of the class that no one likes. I'm not special."
"No, you're something very special. Where as the other Avengers have strength, or flexibility, you can literally see people. And we need that."
I never knew it was a special ability. I just thought it was my brain being weird. Don't get me wrong, I'm a weirdo. But I actually have a special ability.
"Does that mean you're not going to take my chance of being in the Avengers?"
"I never even considered it. You have a special ability, and it's not going to waste. Tomorrow I'm taking you home to pack and then you're coming here. Permanently."
"Really?" I asked.
I know I sound like a 4 year old, but I actually have a chance to be something!
"Yes. As of Wednesday, you will be an Avenger. That is, if you want to."
I nodded. I was speechless.
"Well, it's almost 5 in the morning. Get some sleep and we leave tomorrow afternoon."
I nodded and started to walk upstairs, but I stopped and looked at Mr. Stark.
"Mr. Stark?"
"Yes?"
"I know I shouldn't push my luck, but can I see Loki for just a minute? Let him know I'm okay?"
He nodded and I ran back to Loki's cell. He was in the floor sitting where I was before Mr. Stark came. He looked up and he had clearly been crying.
"Oh, Loki. Have you really been crying?" I asked.
"I should never have fallen in love with you." He said.
I looked at him through teary eyes.
"Wh-what do you mean?"
"Thor is taking me back to Asgard to be put it prison."
"What? No! I don't know what I'll do without you!" I cried.
I knew I would probably get in trouble for this, but I don't even care anymore. I have to spend tonight with Loki. I walked over to the keypad and put in the code.
"What are you doing? You can't do this again! You will be sent home permanently!" He said.
"I don't care. I want to be with you!" I said.
I walked over to him and the cell shut behind me. I sat on the floor beside him and laid my head on his shoulder. He put his arms around me and held me.
"We can't be together." He said.
"But I love you." I said.
"And I love you too. More than life itself." He said.
He kissed me. I love it when he kisses me, but it hurts knowing this can't last forever. We fell asleep, but we were both worried about what would take place the next morning.