sgel gnisol

Losing Legs

"By the way, I'm Moonshine and this is Juju," the male twin introduced. As if on cue, they both waved.

"You mean like...the alcohol," Beta asked. Moonshine nodded, smiling wider. "I'm so glad you recognize it, most people don't."

Matrix rolled his eyes. "Okay, this is the Stak's room."

Beta looked briefly into the large area. Inside had a rotting smell. The room was dark, the only light coming from the bar's lamps and the T.V. the Staks were playing a video game on.

"What's that smell?" Beta asked, feeling a sting inside his nostrils.

"You don't wanna know," Hershey said, nose scrunching.

"Hey guys!" A voice was heard around the corner and Beta peered inside to see who it was. "Check out what just came in." Someone dragged a body across the purple carpet and into the Perna's line of sight.

A fellow dead woman.

JuJu's head tilted, and she posed, "Matrix, I thought that people don't die die. Because he's looking very dead dead."

"Well, not really," Beta answered, stealing Matrix's well anticipated thunder. All eyes went to him. "In the brief time it takes to get from Earth to Plato, they're unconscious dead. Their bodies start to heal until they're completely put back together. Once they get here they're still technically unconscious dead until they wake up," he explained. Matrix—flaring his nostrils—was getting ready to move to the next room. Beta held the door open, preventing Matrix from using his telekinesis to close it. "What're they planning to do with her?" Beta asked in a tone Matrix hadn't heard yet. It sounded...angry.

"Relax, they're just hazing the newbie," Matrix answered, shutting the door behind them.

"Come on."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Well, Tenties don't have a room, since we have a bond with nature. So, we have this garden and playground behind the building. It's seriously gorgeous," Juju explained.

"Can we go there?" Beta asked.

"Newbies aren't allowed to leave the house just yet, but don't worry. We'll show you once you're able to leave," Moonshine said. Beta smiled at him. He could tell there was something about their aura that made him feel comfortable, safe, and warm. It felt strange to feel manipulated in such a way. He shook off the feeling—doing what so many others couldn't—and got over it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Here's the Nat's hangout," Hershey said proudly.

Matrix blinked and—although Beta knew that wasn't what triggered it—the door suddenly swung open.

At first, it was silent. Then, classical music played. When Beta looked in the room, he could see the computers, games, gadgets, and gizmos all around. The room was painted gold, and the people in there seemed very relaxed, playing Wii and Nintendo Switch games, reading, and talking quietly. They were overall very mellow in Beta's eyes.

"Believe it or not, I usually only go in here when I'm bored or if I'm trying to find someone," Hershey said.

"Okay, let's leave before—"

A young Nat ran up to Hershey at the door—pigtails bouncing up and down on her enticingly joyful head—and smiled at him. "Hi Hershey! What brings you here? What are you doing? Who's this fella here? Do you have the game I let you borrow? Is that Matrix? Hi Ma—!"