tsap eht

The Past

Beta's footsteps in the mostly empty hallway felt unwanted. He let them fall anyway; hugging his bare arms as a comfort more so than a chill.

The Perna went door to door, slowing to look at the numbers, realizing it wasn't the right number, and moving on. Normal dead couldn't have seen so well in the blackness under the best circumstances, but how Beta was created made him an exception.

Always the exception.

181.

181.

181.

And there it was. Beta stopped outside Room 181, afraid to move. He felt as if this was it—even though it wasn't—and if he did this there was no going back to forcing himself to forget.

But he also knew if he didn't do it, everything that had happened so far would just happen again.

Beta didn't even touch the doorknob, he just leaned his head down and took a step. Once his foot reached the door frame...

....it went straight through. There was no shimmer or glow, it was just as if there was nothing there to begin with.

Beta emerged on the other side of the door, looking around and realizing that it was basically identical to his own room...except for the person sleeping in its beds. Beta rushed over, being careful not to wake up Hershey's neighbor in the process. He went over to the Nat's bed and, violently, shook his shoulder. It didn't take much to stir the dead, as they were always on the edge of sleep.

Hershey stirred and opened his eyes, squinting at Beta. He blinked once, then four times all within a second. "Be—?"

Beta covered his mouth with his hand, putting a finger to his lips. Once he was sure Hershey would be silent, he took his hand away and gestured for him to follow. Hershey pushed the covers off of himself and put on the shirt abandoned on the ground. "What's—?" Hershey tried to speak again but, once more, Beta shushed him. Hershey tried to put on his shoes but Beta wouldn't let him, grabbing his hand and tugging him toward the door.

"Beta it's—"

The newcomer grabbed the doorknob and turned it all the way, shocking Hershey when it clicked and then creaked opened. "...locked."

"Come on," Beta whispered, still holding Hershey's wrist as he led him down the hallway. Hershey jumped as the door shut to his room. He hopped more than walked down the hallway; it was too dark for him to see the ground and he didn't trust it, especially with the lack of shoes.

"Beta what's going on?" Hershey asked now, a little louder since they were a wall away from the rest of them.

"You'll see," Beta said, the tone in his voice sounding panicked. Hershey wanted to stop and ask questions, but when people say 'You'll see' they usually mean it.

Beta's grip tightened as a bright light invaded their darkness. He stopped walking, causing Hershey to bump into his back as he squinted at the light. The two could only assume it was one of the night guards.

"What're you two doing out of your roo—Agh!"

Hershey tore his hand away from Beta when he heard the sudden cry, trying so hard to see past the blinding light.

The light, after having a quick spaz, landed on the floor. Hershey looked down at it, irritated at first but then surprised to see the guard on the ground with her mouth hanging ajar.

Beta picked up the flashlight, coating her body in darkness, and pointed it ahead. "We should carry on," Beta said, walking forward. He stopped and turned around when he sensed Hershey wasn't following. "Come on."