snoitaler wen

New Relations

El stared at the night sky; the darkness made the little drops of water falling from the sky hard to see. Occasionally, people would call to him, but he wouldn't answer. Finally, they stopped and went to bed. The sky had grown darker and the rain became more intense for a brief period before calming again. El took a deep breath as he sat on the roof of the highest stone tower atop of the Queens' castle.

El saw a blur and sighed as Matrix climbed up the tower's ladder and sat down next to him. "You know you'll get sick if you stay out here too long," the Stak said, trying to bring up the mood.

"I don't get sick," El replied. Raindrops poured down on the two men and El leaned back on his hands, welcoming the rain. "What would you do if you could control the weather?" El asked Matrix.

Matrix shrugged. "I'd probably make it cold, something about walking outside in winter air is comforting." El paused for a brief moment without saying a word, and Matrix suspected something was wrong. But soon enough, he did respond.

"I'd make it rain forever. During the day, the clouds would be dark but the sun would make it light, and at night, the pit-patter of rain would bring a new life to a once quiet space," El answered, his voice strangely even. Matrix was slightly freaked out by the intensity of the answer but said nothing.

The Stak took a deep breath, preparing himself. "I drowned in a river." El looked over at Matrix, giving him his full attention as he went on.

"I was still living with my parents at that point, just because they couldn't get out of bed without my help. My mom was at a bar that night. She called me to pick her up and I didn't want to wake my dad so I took his car and went out to get her. When I got her...she said she wanted to drive. So I let her. Stupidest thing I've ever done." Matrix laughed at the memory of it. "But I loved her...so it didn't matter. We came to the edge of the bridge and there was no railing separating us from the water. My mom...wasn't thinking apparently." Matrix shrugged. "Obviously...I didn't make it out. Sorry my backstory isn't as elaborate as yours, and I also didn't kill one of my parents because of it," Matrix said, wanting to laugh it off. There was no laughter that followed.

"If it counts for anything...you deserved to belong to someone else," El said.

"Yeah." Matrix started laughing ironically instead of wholeheartedly.

There was a brief silence before Matrix began to speak again.

"So, do you know what they're called?"

El looked over, asking the obvious question. "Who?"

"Hansel and Gretel, their type; do you know what they're called?"

Yes," El's expression didn't change. "But I'll let you tell me anyway, seeing as there's a point somewhere."

"Ressurectors," Matrix said, going straight in despite the snarky remark. "Bonds." And suddenly, he was lost in his words. "The connection between the two...is strong, to say the least. But it's also meant to be, ya know? It's not romantic, but still intimate. They'd risk their lives for each other without even blinking an eye. It's like they know everything without really knowing anything at all. Nothing could break the Cider without breaking the Stak as well and vice versa. The fact that you can feel it without even meeting the person is just...beyond me." Matrix blinked a few times as if he had gone somewhere else. "But still, when you meet them for the first time...it's unlike anything you've ever felt before." Matrix smiled, looking up at El. "Not saying that you and I are or anything."

El looked straight at him and shook his head. "No...but I do know that you have one." El's gaze fell when Matrix's intensified, wondering where he was going with it. "El look—"