eruzies dna hcraes

Search and Seizure

"We shouldn't be doing this."

"Hey, don't act like you weren't against Elias as much as I was."

"Yeah, I was against it because I don't want him in our lives, believe it or not. I didn't ask Beta to make him mad and then find some shady lead," Hershey said, keeping his hands steady on the wheel as he spoke to Matrix in the backseat. "I mean the whole thing is weird."

Beta ignored their comments and instead focused on making sure Hershey was staying on the road. They were all knocked to the side when Hershey tried to switch lanes, somehow more bruised with Hershey driving than when the Syncs attacked them.

Beta, Hershey, and Matrix were in their new car on their way to Topeka, Kansas and Beta was teaching Hershey how to drive.

It wasn't going so well.

"I said turn left!"

"Your left or my left?"

"We've the same left mate!"

All the anxiety was causing an even heavier heaviness in the car, adding to the weight brought on by the search for Elias.

He wasn't easy to track. The text message Beta got was the only lead they had, but still, Hershey was skeptical.

"Why can't you look at this?" Hershey had asked, taking the phone from Beta.

"Because if I know, then Elias will know," Beta explained as Matrix looked over Hershey's shoulder.

"Beta I have to be honest this seems a bit risky," the Nat admitted. "Are you sure we should be going this?"

"Do you have a better option?" Matrix said, surprising not only Beta but also Hershey.

"Matrix," Hershey said, his voice lower. "Maybe you didn't hear me before but this is dangerous."

"No," Matrix said, plucking the phone from Hershey. "Elias is dangerous. I am not taking any chance on him. We're doing this."

And that was that. Beta agreed, and Hershey still didn't. But when Beta had looked at him, he felt as if some part of Hershey was boiling. Matrix told Beta that they had never fought before because they had no need to, but he could tell there was some new sort of tension there now.

"Beta which way am I going?" Hershey asked, snapping Beta out of his thoughts.

"Sorry, head—" As Beta's head turned toward the street, a pedestrian immediately came into his vision. "Stop!" he yelled and Hershey's foot slammed on the breaks.

The car behind them was able to stop in time, but the car behind that wasn't so lucky. "Jesus Beta," Matrix said, hitting his head on the back of his seat. But Beta ignored him, staring through the windshield at the familiar face.

His mother. Elias. Her head was bleeding, hands outstretched and red.

Beta blinked, knowing it wasn't real but his eyes not getting the memo. "Don't do it, Beta," Elias said, putting his hands on the car, smearing blood on the hood. "You don't want anyone else getting hurt."

"Beta!" Beta turned to Hershey, and suddenly a stimulating shiver ran down his spine and washed away the illusion. When his name came out of his friend's mouth, Beta turned back to the road and saw nothing; no blood or mother in sight.

"K-Keep driving," Beta instructed, and Hershey didn't hesitate to go before the police came.

Beta looked out the window at the blue and grey house, waiting for a car to pass before speaking. "Is this it?" he asked.