✶How Babies Are Made✶

As his blue eyes squeezed to slits, the remaining color in Jack's face had faded. Peter nervously bit his bottom lip, a gesture that would normally put my hormones into overdrive. But this time around, he clenched down so hard on his lip that I was surprised it didn't start bleeding. Gnawing it as if he was scared, as if he lost his purpose in life, my heart began to race. As if he hadn't be through enough tonight with the loss of Thomas, he now had to face the unexpected appearance of a potential relative. We now had to face the unexpected appearance of a potential relative.

Peter's eyes frantically grazed over my body as the rest of his energy was being used to fuel the nerves of his very own shell. "We never did anything," he said, his majestic eyes now widened in utter denial. Jack's ears perked up at Peter's words, as he shifted uncomfortably and crossed his arms awkwardly over his chest.

"Nothing," Peter repeated again, as if he were trying to reassure himself. With a tremendous amount of heat radiating through my cheeks, I nodded.

"I know. You don't have to tell me twice, Peter. I know."

What else was I supposed to say? We never had done anything that would have resulted in bringing a child to the world, so how in the world did this tiny being get here? And was....was it possible that she could truly be our daughter? A person crafted and created from our genetics, from our love?

Surely, she had Peter's wondrous, beautiful eyes and she definitely inherited his dazzling smile. She had my hair and my birthmark- a birthmark so distinct that it would be a long shot if she ended up not being related to me. But....just how?

"Well if Laney was never....pregnant," Jack scrunched his nose up as he took a few steps forward. "There's only one other way," he stated as he glanced down at Peter as if he were reprimanding him.

Seeming to get annoyed, Peter shot an angered glare at Jack. It was unlike him to be on edge like this but realistically, Jack should have been more emotionally sensitive knowing the events that occured today. "We didn't request a child, Jack. Get your head out of the clouds and quit being ridiculous."

"Excuse me, what? Request a child?" I asked, faltering my view between the two boys before me. They both stared and blankly blinked at me before composing their emotions.

A mischievous smirk formed its way on Jack's face as he knew he was going to be talking about one of the weirdest topics to ever exist. Taking a quick glance over my shoulder, I noticed that Melanie had seated a little purple teddy bear in the tiniest seat and she was busy trying to feed it with a plastic milk bottle.

Jack smirked toward me as Peter's face turned a deep shade of red. "Well clearly, you realize babies aren't exactly made the same way in Neverland as they are on Earth."

Facepalming himself, Peter held his reddened face in embarrassment. On the other hand, Jack seemed to enjoy making everyone else in the room feel completely awkward, as he had this devilish glint in his eye and this playful smile dancing on his lips.

"I wasn't aware....," was all I managed to utter.

"Well let me give you a basic lesson in Babies 103."

"You mean 101...?"

"Yeah, whatever number it is. But anyway we all know how babies are made on Earth, no need to go into detail with that."

Shaking his head with his hand still over his face, Peter uncomfortably shifted in his standing position.

"But Neverland babies are completely different. We have a stork. So when a mom and a dad decide they are ready for a baby, they will go to the Neverland Council and request a baby."