✶Melanie✶

Jack's pale blue irises frantically scanned the room for a good place to hide, however the pitter patter of little footsteps told him that he was quickly running out of time. Swiftly moving next to Peter and I, Jack gnawed at his bottom lip as his body lightly quivered. Peter and Jack exchanged a fearful glance which only made the knot in my stomach squeeze tighter. All three of us may never be able to escape whatever laid ahead of us. Latching onto Peter's hand, he gave my palm a tight squeeze.

As we heard a light squeal escape the mystery person, all three of us pushed ourselves as close as we could to the wall. Too bad we weren't able to blend in with it because that would've been highly beneficial at this point in time. As my heart paced in anxiousness, part of me wished I was back at my old high school where blending in with the wall seemed to be an effortless talent of mine.

A shriek escaped the depths of Peter's chest as a person emerged from the entrance of the treehouse.

With a head full of thick, long black hair, a little toddler pulled herself into the treehouse by the strength of her tiny elbows. Struggling as she scrambled to pull herself inside, her round eyes curiously studied over the three of us. When her emerald green eyes locked with mine, a shudder was sent down my spine. What was going through this child's mind? Was she going to cause a scene?

Yet within those innocent little eyes laid an eerie familiarity. Her eyes possessed a majestic quality that intrigued me, wanted me to figure out the pieces to her little puzzle.

There was absolutely no doubt that she was a petite, beautiful little being. Her lively green eyes continued to curiously peer at the three of us who were packed like sardines against the main wall. Cocking her head to the side, her gaze stayed transfixed on Peter as her expression turned serious. Her jet black eyebrows scrunched up to the middle of her forehead, sending shock waves of fear through all of our nervous systems. What was she capable of and what in the world was her little mind planning for us?

"Hi!" She stated as her serious expression randomly cracked. The little girl cheerfully giggled as she plopped down and sat cross legged on the floor before us. Looking over my shoulder and at Jack, I let out a chuckle. "She's the dangerous person we were so worried about?"

Nodding, his gaze nor his expression faltered. Frost kept his icy blue eyes glued to the little being before us as if he were waiting for her to prance at any second. Shooting him a glare, he just stuck his nose in the air and ignored my gesture. Clearly he didn't trust this girl, but how could someone who was this tiny and adorable have as much power as Jack had stated?

The little girl giantly grinned, pushing up her full cheeks and enhancing the light brown freckles that were sprinkled across her face. Her eyes filled with joy, she tried to take in the event of having unexpected company. As if she were as confused as we were, she took the occasional glance at Jack and I as if she were trying to figure us out. However, Peter seemed to be the main interest of her attention at the moment as her eyes nearly twinkled every single time they studied him.

"You know," she started. "Mom says I shouldn't talk to strangers but you seem nice, mister." Her eyes transfixed on Peter, my gaze faltered between the two of them. I shifted uncomfortably as I realized that the reason her eyes seemed so familiar was because they were the same exact shade of emerald green that Peter's irises are. Her little eyes even had the same dazzling quality of his, as they were rimmed with thick, jet black lashes.

"Oh, really?" Peter asked as he smiled he put a hand through his light brown hair.

Cutely nodding, her innocence shone through her words. "Yeah. My parents always told me not to talk to strangers, but we've met before so I'm sure they won't care," said the little girl as she picked up a stuffed dog from a pile of stuffed animals and began to wiggle her tiny fingers through the faux fur.