16 - Stealthy Invasion

When Balcatemi's new powers were revealed a shocking reality and a terrible forecast of the future came along...

My days out of the world seemed to heal the traumas I suffered. There I was away from the world's troubles and without contact with the astral planes energies. I decided to return and gave up waiting for Midrakus' return. Coming back was quite painful. The weight on my head was terrible; my memories came back strong and quick. I felt like the battle against Duke Marlak, the deaths of Shasticara, Aztazûr, Helmut and others happened just a few moments ago. I was lonely and didn't know if Raastad and Scarlett had survived.

The portal had brought me to a region full of forests. After two days of walking, I saw smoke. It could mean only two things: a battle, or a village.

I approached the village and saw humans. An old man came. His expression was one of concern. Then with trembling arms and legs he pointed a crossbow at me.

"Hello" I said raising my hand and waving.

The old man lowered the crossbow and greeted back.

I introduced myself "My name is Keel; what's your name?"

"Uremag" the old man replied. There was a commotion and children approached. The old man ordered them to stand clear, but they ignored him.

The elder limped when walking in my direction. He was crippled and wore a wooden leg. His crossbow had a log tiller, which also served as a walking stick.

"Hello Uremag, what is this place called?"

"This valley is called the Last Refuge".

We walked to the village. It was broken and had the likeness of a refugee camp. There were only a few women, children and another elderly man. Uremag invited me to his house.

"Who is defending the village?" I asked.

"No one" he revealed "I fought in the war for many years. Here are just those who can't fight. You said your name is Keel, isn't it? I heard stories about an elf and his fire sword. But they say he died years ago".

"Really? How?"

"In an attack against a nest of demon bosses".

"Years, you say?" Could all that time have passed? It seemed I stayed on Midrakus Tower for a week or two.

"Excuse me" said the woman who entered the hut. She brought with her a wooden bowl with small berries and offered them. I took a taste. They were sour, but tasty.

"Thank you" I told the girl. "You known Uremag, Keel is not dead".

"So it's you!" the old man realized "Could you show me the sword?"

I drew Balcatemi and showed its flames. Their eyes showed fascination.

"It is very beautiful!" The old man scratched his nose.

When I drew the sword, I was overcome by a strange feeling that made me distracted, without giving attention to the words of the old man. Soon, I started to listen to his heartbeat and seeing black dots moving slowly inside his body. The other old man, as well as women and children also had those strange spots. That was new to me.

The woman who offered me the fruits had beautiful green eyes and caught my attention because she had instead of points, thousands of lines, which moved fast under her skin. Cautiously, I put the Balcatemi back in its sheath.

The old man said "Sorry to ask you this, Mr. Keel. It seems to have brought bad memories back, right?"

"I suppose so".