11 - Alliance against the Duke

A meeting of great warriors to make a bold and decisive move and shame on a perfect idiot...

Years after the battle in the frozen north, where I nearly lost my life, I was back in Nelfária. This time, I was at the amazing fortress of Talbos between the capital and Falíssiria. In Talbos, elven architects and war masters built a fortress shaped like a tower, coupled with four powerful defense cannons. Perhaps it was the safest city of all the empire. A shot from the cannons was able to pulverize hundreds of enemies. It had a military power many times superior to the famous guardian tower of Nish.

In the central portion of the trapezoidal tower, which was perfectly flat and square, stood a second tall cylindrical tower. At its top, in the upper level beyond the observation posts, Nelfária's war council met. It was a large circular room, well lit, surrounded by windows on all sides. From there the beautiful green landscapes of Talbos City could be observed. One could rest the eyes gazing at the blue ocean in the distant horizon.

Aside from me, half a dozen generals, including Raastad and Forthálik, and other important figures of the Elven Empire, there were guests of other races, such as Helmut, Dwerdro and some other dwarves, Prince Nöl, General Keldor and more of the Holmös human caste. The three fire weapons: Bimu Balcatemi, Fgak TàNiah and the Scarlett-Bright Staff were again reunited. But not only these. Some of the most powerful Hostenoit weapon bearers were also there.

"Unfortunately" said General Keldor, who was very serious and the bearer of a bushy black mustache that covered his lips. "we can't stop the progress of Marlak's winged hordes".

There was an atmosphere of grief and weariness. Nobody replied, and he continued "Marlak established his base on the Three Peaked Mountain. The place is almost inaccessible. They built a reproductive nest there".

"A nest on the mountain's peak?" asked General Steffundil.

"Yes, full of winged queens. Guarded by two demon lords: Kunz and Bellnar, besides the presence of Duke Marlak himself".

"Therefore, it is an impossible place to be taken" suggested the high priest, Soufin Talisbastosiir, of the Temple of Noosar.

"Maybe it can" Steffundil replied.

"Dwarves don't fly or climb steep peaks" Helmut confirmed.

"Our armies wouldn't be able to climb the mountain either without being ambushed by the winged beasts" Keldor indicated.

"It seems that the enemy has an important strategic advantage" Raastad pondered.

"But let's suppose it is possible. How would we break into the enemy base?" Steffundil instigated.

After that, came long exposures of possible strategies and they were followed by vigorous discussions. This went on for hours and the meeting was going nowhere.

Although I was not an experienced strategist and had a hard time understanding some of the strategies discussed, I asked to speak.

"Dear friends and comrades in battle" I said, referring to those I served and fought with "estimated officials" I referred to some strategists and nobles "wise seers" I greeted the magicians and doctors.

"I know that the situation is complex and that much is at stake. I know that any action we take will incur serious dangers and great sacrifices. I confess I couldn't fully understand all of the strategies exposed here today, but after much listening, I would like to speak in favor of the esteemed General Kriegor Steffundil." I did a brief gesture of reverence and respect.

"I would like to remind you about the campaign against the queens in the valley previously by Duke Drenzult. At that time, I couldn't conceive of the possibility to confront and defeat the colossal demonic queens. It was Steffundil's faith and courage that made that possible. But I believe that only a few who were directly involved in the campaign against the queens know exactly what I mean. Why am I saying so? Some of you may be wondering. I speak of it because now we have the same situation as before. I stand in favor of the strategy proposed by the general: a concentrated and frontal attack against the leaders of the winged hordes. An attack with a single goal: to eliminate and imprison Duke Marlak. It's time to prove that it is possible to eliminate their top leaders, otherwise, I ask you: is there really any hope of winning this war?"

A series of murmurs followed my line and before anyone took the word, I took an unelvish action. I drew Balcatemi, dug it against the table top and said fiercely "No matter what results may come of this council's votes: I promise you: I'll attack Duke Marlak's base and, if necessary, I'll sacrifice my life to eliminate him!"

Horrified, Soufin Talisbastosiir, stood up and shouted "Outrage! This is an outrage! How dare you defy the order of this council? How dare you with this bravado, come and disregard all of our discussions, disrespecting all of the present members and our guests..."

Helmut said aloud to override Soufin's voice "Disrespect you say?" He raised his axe and said "What if I express some of my contempt too?"

He hit the table with his axe causing great damage. Soufin retreated for a moment startled. Helmut's nephew, Dwerdro, followed his example hitting the table with his hammer.

Soufin lost his composure and his face flushed with anger "Keel, even being the son of scum, I know well enough from where your barbaric behavior comes. It's too much time spent among these dirty and ignorant miners!"

"Is he swearing at us uncle?" asked Dwerdro.

"What do you think moron?" Helmut replied angrily.

The tumult that was spreading came to a halt as Raastad said aloud, but without shouting "Enough! Enough with this nonsense!" The room felt silent.

"I cannot agree with young Keel's impetuous stance, but I cannot disagree with its resolution. Lord Soufin Talisbastosiir, I ask you a favor".

"Yes, high counselor".

"Please consider carefully what to say of our brothers, whose work requires great sacrifice. They fought on the frontlines for hundreds of years, just to protect our cities, temples and institutions. I ask you to consider the value of the sacrifices they made and think about your own sacrifices as a leader of one of our most important institutions. Perhaps, from another viewpoint, you'd see that the boy's behavior is not so inadequate, especially when he suggests with great courage that we'd embrace such sacrifice in favor of our kind, and all of the world's people. And this, I would like you to say a few words in consideration to these the noble dwarves who agreed to leave their homes and join us in this terrible battle against the hordes".

The expression on Soufin's face was, perhaps, the main reason of my narration. My favorite memory of all of those meetings at Talbos Tower. He swallowed his pride and said "Noble and courageous general Keel, I apologize for my harsh words".

"No hard feelings" I said, laughing inside my head.

"Noble dwarves, I apologize for my words, I hope you also understand that this war brings suffering and loss, even for those who are not on the frontlines".

Helmut shrugged and said "Let's get back to the core issue: who's here with Steffundil and Keel? Who supports the attack on the Duke? I want to see your hands!"

Keldor and Nöl followed the dwarves, whose hands were raised even before Helmut finished his speech. Then the generals Raastad, Forthálik and Steffundil. Shasticara and other captains were finally followed by a handful of magicians and wise men.

Raastad concluded "I formally declare the alliance against Duke Marlak!"