8 - Desire to Burn

Balcatemi and I got closer and I learned to release a little more of its powers...

As my army was wiped out, I joined General Kriegor Steffundil's troops as his sub-commander. While we fought some battles, none was as great as the Battle of the Three Hordes. It was an exciting period. I learned much from General Kriegor and sometimes had the chance to get close to Shasticara. I was in love with her, but she didn't care about me. It was a strong attraction, different from the admiration and respect I felt for Princess Jilija. I had few opportunities to get close to her. Nothing transpired in my favor. On such an occasion, I was talking to her.

"I heard General Kriegor comment about your husband".

"Really, sir? What kind of comment?" Her expression was somber, but still it was good talking to her.

"He is a priest, right?"

"Yes, he serves at the Noosar temple".

"Indeed. The noble guardians of Bras-Niaira".

She nodded and went away, ignoring me. I felt silly saying things that were too obvious.

"Wait captain!"

"Yes, sir general" she turned with her eyebrows arched. One more chance of looking straight into her eyes was worth it.

"Just wanted to congratulate you for the great performance in yesterday's battle".

"Just another mission accomplished. With your license general, I need to take care of some injured horses".

I was frustrated. Again, she escaped from my overtures. I fetched Az and we left the camp. We found a quiet place to land, far away. I drew my sword and projected fire in the air. The flames rose higher, much more than usual. As I mentioned, my dragon was very intelligent and was able to speak his language since birth. But until recently, we didn't talk to each other much.

"Feeling mad, huh?" Aztazûr provoked. His expressive eyes showed malice.

"Yes, so what?"

"She is married and nothing will happen between the two of you".

"Thanks Az. That really cheers me up..."

"You must learn to be realistic, Keel".

"Give me a break!"

The dragon blew smoke through his nostrils and overlooked my insolence. "Since your emotions have changed, you should learn how to use them".

"Huh?"

"Do not you see? This is very sad... You're very limited in terms of vision, Keel".

"And you are very conceited, Az!"

"Realistic! We dragons are far more intelligent than you bipedal humans, elves, dwarves... I really don't get why the elders..."

"Tell me what you mean, Mr. Enlightened!"

"Emotions! I honestly can't believe how you couldn't see this..."

"What Az? See what!?"

"Come on, you see, your emotions are the key to Balcatemi's powers. It is through your emotions that you can get in touch with the Nam-lu imprisoned in the blade".

"Damn! I thought, He's right. He is always right ... Why didn't I realize that before?"

Reading my expression, he said, full of himself "I told you so".

"Sure Az! Thanks for the help".

"Keel, we are partners, you know? I'm always happy to help you. By the way, if you really want that girl..."