07.10.2017 - The Death of Someone Close

"I hope my death is enough as an apology."

"oh..."

"That's what he wrote," the voice across the phone said, "just want to let you know."

"So you mean it's my fault?" Kaito gripped on his phone tight until his knuckles went white, "It wasn't even--"

"I'm too tired to say anything about that, boy," the voice across the phone cut him off coldly, "as much as I want to blame someone it's not the time to do that."

Kaito fell silent at the rebuke, he simply promised to come to the funeral later before hanging up. The phone found its way to the table, and Kaito sat on his bed in silence. He hated Firenze, sure he did, and he once even told him to just die and all, but he never thought that the words he uttered at such fleeting rage would actually had an effect on someone, on someone he thought had neither feelings nor remorse. He felt guilty of all sudden, was it him who pushed him to commit suicide? Was it wrong for him to be angry at the person who orphaned him in one night? 

Then it dawned on him suddenly. Up until today he never really knew what kind of life Firenze had been living in. He always looked cold and composed, Kaito remembered, but he knew that that man's past was practically a walking nightmare. That's all he knew. 

The door to his apartment clicked open and Fei came in, holding a shopping bag in one hand and her usual hand bag in other hand. She looked at Kaito and sighed.

"Did Allegra called you?" she asked as she put the bag down on the table and proceed to sit next to him, "about Firenze?"

"Yeah."

The girl wait for the boy to say something else in silence. He slowly placed his head on her shoulder, sighing.

"Tell me, was it my fault?" He began to ask, "it was a long time ago."

"It was a long time ago, but he would've remembered that," the girl patted his head gently, "I'm sure he, too, understand where did that come from, although you didn't really say the best thing at that time."

"Can't I even be angry at the person who killed my parents?"

"You can," Fei replied, gently, "of course."

There was silence between them as the boy stared blankly into the space with Fei stroking his hair gently. He felt so empty. He didn't even know what to feel anymore.

"He... look, you're not completely at fault here, Kaito," the girl said again, "we didn't know how heavy was the burden for him to choose to do it. You're not his only problem. He... just want people.. he just wanted you to forgive him. That's all."

The boy didn't say anything else. Fei's words made him feel a little better, although still bitter. He knew what does she mean. He can choose to forgive him if he wants to, then, perhaps he'll feel better. The boy sighed and went up.

"I'll change my clothes. We're going there."

Can this count as drabble though?

Maybe this sort of count as another exploration outside Shadow Under the Sun main story..