Chapter Twelve

My head shot to the doorway of my room as a knock rang out. Nik was standing there. Nodding to show he could come in I finished putting away my clothes. "Exactly how I remember it." He commented settling on my bed. I smiled walking over to sit with him.

"It has been locked for 100 years. I spelled it remember. Whenever I'm asleep in here or I'm not here it locks and stops people from entering." I looked around. "Needs updating really." I looked back at Nik. "Think you could get someone to do it? I need it finished in 9 days though."

He ran a finger over the number 9 on my hand, glaring at it almost. "I hate when this appears. I'm glad you created a way to give us a warning that it is going to happen but I hate watching the numbers go down." His eyes met mine. "I'll have your room done immediately. Sleep in a spare for now." I smiled and moved so I was next to him so I could rest my head on his shoulder.

"Do you really have to go to sleep?" We both looked up to see Caroline entering. She sat down opposite to us. "You're going to miss everything. The birth most of all." I grabbed her hand, squeezing it.

"It's not as bad as it used to be. In the beginning, I slept for 10 years every century."

"You know you never told me the full story. Of how you were raised, why you have to sleep in the first place, why your mother created Ancestral magic, your..."

"Caroline." Nik interrupted her. I sighed.

"Well," I shrugged, "we've got time." She squealed and made herself comfortable causing Nik to grin. "I was born in 983 to Esther Mikaelson and Maverick Jayden. Esther told everyone she had a boy that was a stillborn named Killian. Throughout the pregnancy my father's wife Brianna Salem stayed inside. He told everyone she was pregnant and that it wasn't going smoothly. My father announced my birth two days after it actually happened so no one would be suspicious. I was named Evermore Luna Seren Jayden-Salem, another reason why Esther said she had a boy. Kol had chosen the name Evermore and it would have been too noticeable for two girls to be born with the same name. I was born an Earth Witch and a Wiccan Witch. I showed signs of wiccan magic early on but I officially came into both kinds when I was two. My mother, father, Esther and another Earth witch in the village named Ayanna, Bonnie's ancestor taught me. Kol would secretly learn from my parents and Ayanna as Mikael had forbidden Esther to teach him, he didn't want any of his children practicing. They believed nobody should be forbidden to learn and have their gifts taken away from them." I smiled at the memories of Kol and I growing up.

"Kol and I would sneak away and practice in secret." Nik laughed as I confirmed what he knew all along. "I didn't know that I was related to the Mikaelson children until a couple of day before my ninth birthday. My mother told me after my father died. It didn't make any difference, she loved me just as much as my younger siblings that she had given birth to herself."

"Evermore grew up in the same village as us, love." Nik cut in. "Because of that we all grew close to each other. No one was as close to her as Kol was. Where you found one you would find the other."

"True," I admitted, "however I was also very close to our younger brother Henrik and this one." I nudged Nik. "In fact," I grinned at Nik. "Henrik was taught magic by Ayanna, Kol and my mother." Nik looked at me with wide eyes. They taught him after I was taken.

"Did you get on with your other siblings?" Caroline asked.

"Yes, my father went on to have five more children. Fredrick, Hadrian, Vladimir, Selene and Lilydell. Fredrick was born a year after me like Rebekah. And my mother only discovered she was pregnant with Lilydell after my father had passed."

"Being pregnant was also the reason she couldn't stop you from being taken." Caroline's eyes grew wide at Nik's words.

"I was nine at the time. It was my ninth birthday. My family owed a debt to a powerful witch. She came to collect and took me as payment. My mother was pregnant with her fifth child, though the village believed it was her sixth. She couldn't stop her." I explained remembering that day.