Chapter Fourteen

"I don't understand." Caroline admitted putting on the old wedding dress I had given her. "What is the point of this?" She looked in the mirror. "I mean shouldn't you only wear a wedding dress on your wedding day." I laughed.

"It's a tradition here in New Orleans and you can thank Rebekah for it. It is called the Casket Girls Festival." I informed her looking through some of my old wedding dresses. I finally spotted the one I wanted. It was my favourite, Kol had it made for me. I quickly started changing into it.

"There is a story behind this and I want to hear it." Caroline insisted.

"It was here in New Orleans. For centuries people, have come here looking for a fresh start, adventure, fortune and even love. Back in 1751 young society women were imported from France with the promise of them marrying a proper New Orleans gentleman." I looked around the partition to see her. "I can tell you now even back then not all men were gentlemen. Some were absolutely disgusting." She giggled. "Unknown to the women the men who awaited them were far from proper or gentle. A group of men attacked their carriage and blocked the road. Rebekah saved them, she killed every man there. The women went with her abandoning the carriage and their belongings only taking one thing. Their wedding dresses." I came out from behind the divider holding my dress against me as like Caroline's it wasn't done up. "It is now a yearly reminder of how women can be oppressed by selfish men and how they can triumph when brave enough to fight for themselves." I finished offering Elijah a smile as he entered.

Caroline hummed. "I think I like this festival." Elijah moved forward and started lacing up my dress. Last time I had worn it Kol had done it instead. We watched as Caroline rubbed her hand over her bump and sighed. "I'm guessing there weren't too many pregnant Casket Girls." I reached over and did the zipper and buttons up.

"I think you look lovely." I grinned hearing the cheers outside. Carolling ran over to the window, a large smile covering her face and her eyes bright. "There celebrating already." I confirmed. "In typical New Orleans fashion when a festival happens we party all day and all night." I winked at her as Elijah finished. "Don't even think of taking that off." I told her. Before anything more could be said Nik's, voice rang out calling for all of us. We left, Elijah taking the lead to the living room.

"There you are." It seems Nik was in an impatient mood today. He paused however when he saw mine and Caroline's dresses. "As beautiful as you both look we have more important things to do today than attend a festival." I crossed my arms and glared at him. We agreed that today was my day off. "Now sister does anything feel different to you?" I frowned and looked at Elijah. "Come on Little Fox spread those senses." Concentrating I focused on the people in the house. I soon found the reason behind his attitude. "How could you have missed it?" He demanded. "I told you to keep an eye on her!"

"Niklaus!" Elijah interrupted. "Would you like to fill us in on what you are accusing our sister of?"

"Davina's not here." I answered instead. Stefan then entered the room declaring that her violin was missing. With that piece of information, it was safe to say she left on her own terms.

"What did you say to her in the attic? She lied to my face so she could stay up there," Marcel threw out moving closer to Elijah, "thinking you could help her control her magic. How do we know you didn't take her?"

"I would suggest you think carefully on what you are accusing my brother of Marcellus." I snarled moving closer to him. "I also suggest you take a step back." Marcel eyed him for a moment before backing down.

"I can assure you I have absolutely no desire to see that child come into harm's way. She has suffered enough with this Harvest Ritual nonsense." Elijah spoke and I frowned at him. Looking him up and down I moved around him in a circle. He looked at me in confusion as Nik started speaking.