Chapter Seven: Single Momma

I glanced at myself, draped in my work clothes and my little black apron.
The mirror, thick with dust once again- I literally cleaned it a day ago, glowed against the bright sunlight soaring in through the window. I swallowed nervously, knowing that I couldn't hide today. I had to work, especially since tonight I had the late shift.

Plus, Avi, Mitch, and Scott already knew I was here. The worst already happened, right?

I sighed, hearing a knock on the door.

Running to the door, I quickly opened it, to see my little baby boy peering up at me, giggling. Usually, he comes home with Julia, but Julia must have gone to her apartment momentarily to grab something.

"Mommy, I made a new fweind today at thcool!" Elliot exclaimed giddily, as I kneeled down, embracing him.

"That's wonderful, baby dragon! Was it one of your classmates?"

"No," he laughed, pointing to the corridor.

"He'th right thewe!" Elliot cheered, as Avi stepped into my house.

"Hey Kir-"

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

"Ooh, Mommy thaid a bad wod!"

     I gritted my teeth. He simply couldn't just leave me the heck alone, could he?

     I stood up, crossing my arms. Elliot gazed up at me, imitating my crossed arms, observing, "You muth be a bad man, thince you made Mommy mad and to thay bad wods! But I thill like you!"

     Avi chuckled at this, and before I could open my mouth again to tell him to leave, he bended down to reach Elliot's height.

     "Can you please tell your mommy that Mr. Kaplan is sorry?" Avi glanced earnestly at Elliot, as Elliot bobbed his head up and down.

     "Mommy, Mr. Kaplan thaid that he'th sorry," Elliot stated, as I rolled my eyes at Avi, before halting for a second.

     Did Elliot just say 'sorry?'

     As in S-O-R-R-Y. Not 'thowwy.'

     I may or may not have squealed suddenly at this.

     I may or may not have also caused Avi Kaplan to guffaw at my abrupt laughter and Elliot to join along in the giddiness.

     "Baby dragon, you did it! You said sorry!" I cried out happily.

     "I did?" Elliot scrunched up his eyebrows. 

     "What do you mean he said, 'sorry'?" Avi asked; clearly he didn't know that Elliot had a lisp.

     "You said your 's's' and your 'r's'!" I grinned.

     "I did! I thaid it wight!" Elliot squeaked excitedly, before slumping when he realized he said them wrong again.

     Avi sent me a 'caring' expression, his face full of tenderness. Oh please, he was just trying to mess with me again. That's why he was here. To take my son away from me and leave me alone, just the way he has been these past six years.

He wanted revenge.

And I wasn't about to give him the satisfaction.

"It's okay, sweetie! You're closer to get them correct, anyways!" I comforted Elliot, as he smirked...similar to my traditional smirks.

Elliot, noticing his dragon toys in the corner, dashed along to them, saying, "I'm going to go play!"

"Okay, dear," I said, looking over my shoulder, before grabbing Avi's hand.

It was warm against my rather cold one, our fingers latching together perfectly- this means nothing to me.

Avi furrowed his eyebrows at this. I somewhat dragged him to the hall outside the apartment, closing my door so that Elliot wouldn't hear us.

"What do you think you're doing? Can't you realize? We don't want you here!" I hissed, as I felt Avi place his hand over my lips.

"Shhh," Avi hushed, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

I growled against the palm of his hand, as he instantly took his hand off of me, as I frowned.

"Kirst, no matter how many times you try to push me away from my kid, I'll always come back. I know you aren't particularly fond of me, but just because I'm here doesn't mean I totally forgave you either. Though, I am sorry for everything I have caused upon you. Truly. But, this...this has got to stop. I need to be with my son."

"I...I can't let you take Elliot away from me," I intoned quietly, bowing my head to the ground.

I viewed our shoes: mine simply being old sneakers- I barely wore heels nowadays- and his new Converse.

     Avi hesitated for a second, before uttering, "I won't ever take him away from you."

     I choked at this.

     Did he just say he wouldn't do what I thought he would?

     "You...you won't?"

     Avi's emerald eyes pierced through my soul, as he watched me sternly.

     "I would never try to take my child from the most important person in his life- his mother. I promise," Avi declared quite sincerely.

     "I promise," he repeated again.

     And that was it- my days as a single mom were over.

Short chapter, but I promise I will have a longer one for the next one! Hope you enjoyed and hope you have a wonderful night/day! Goodbye!