Chapter Fourteen: Outside

I sighed against the pillow, the velvety sheen of the inky sky of sparkling stars shining through translucent curtains, down onto our pale flesh. Elliot's eyes lay closed, as I watched him tenderly, as he hopefully fell asleep. The darkness terrified him again tonight; not to mention that stupid ten minute thunderstorm that frightened the crap out of him.

I stayed awake, pondering over my indecisiveness. I hated myself, hated myself for doing this to Elliot, for I knew my choices over forbidding Avi from being Elliot's father were problematic. Elliot deserved a father, and who could be a better father than Avi? But...I didn't want everything to occur again, didn't want my past to be Elliot's future, didn't want Elliot to be taken away from me into the wretched world of 'fabulous fame.'

But Elliot needs a father.

I bit my lip, stifling the struggling sob from escaping me, as Elliot's tiny fingers tapped my shoulder softly.

"Mommy?" Elliot's sweet voice whispered, somewhat muffled against the pillow.

"Baby dragon, what are you doing awake?" I cooed.

"I...I don't know," he laughed, before pointing to my face.

"Mommy, what'th wong?" Elliot asked inquisitively.

"Nothing, dear. Why?" I smiled weakly, as Elliot touched my face.

"Becauthe you'we cwying," Elliot's thumb wavered over my tear-stained cheek, pulling his hand away as I discovered that I indeed was crying.

"Oh."

With that, I pecked Elliot's temple, as he snuggled against me; together both going to sleep.

The glowing stars glimmered in Elliot's twinkling green eyes, reminding me of his father- the last thing I thought of before I cascaded into a deep sleep.
***********************************

"Mommy?"

     Fog blanketed over us, as the papery skies stretched overhead, hectic chaos swarming all around. Cars honking endlessly at the horrific traffic, sirens from ambulances screeching against the beeps- today didn't seem to be a good day. For a lot of people, at least.

     "Yes, baby dragon?" I grinned at Elliot, curly brown locks peeking from under his favorite dragon beanie.

     "Why don't I have a daddy?" Elliot inquired, causing me to almost spit out my coffee.

     The day has finally come. This was just great.

     "Who said you need a daddy?" I asked, apprehension shaking me.

     "Tammy thaid evewyone hath a daddy. Why don't I have one?" Elliot wondered, curiousness rippling through his big jade eyes.

     "Well, Tammy is wrong," I mentally cursed out Tammy for informing this topic to my innocent Elliot.

     "Oh," Elliot said.

     We continued walking to where the trolley stop was, sitting on the surprisingly-empty bench.

"Can I get a daddy? If I want one?" Elliot's question rang in my ears, as I stared at him with great sadness.

"I...don't know," I stammered, as the trolley quickly came.

Ambling up the stairs to get on, I pictured what I had dreamed of the night before. A happy family of three- Avi, Elliot, and me. If I were to keep going with my scared thoughts, none of this could ever happen.