Chapter 17

~Lukes Pov~ 

I had woken up way to early, it was even still dark outside, but I couldn't fall back asleep. I was sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, watching the headlights of passing cars make puppet outlines on the walls over and over again. Whenever I look at the clock it seemed to say the same time, 5:09am. It had been 5:09am for hours, or at least it felt that way. I loved cuddling with Calum, there was nothing better, I wish I didnt have to leave the bed. But the thing about sleeping with him is once hes asleep, hes asleep until someone shakes him awake or he wakes up past noon and then doesn't fall back asleep. And I couldnt just lay there in darkness staring at his chest until someones foot steps echoed loud enough in the hall to get my attention. No one would wake up for quite a while either, Ashton is usually a early riser but not when he gets drunk off his ass the night before.

After at least another hour passes, when it starts to get light, Im sitting on the floor leaning on a cabinet with my knees tucked into my chest, both my arms around my legs and my chin rested on the tops of my knees. I was starting to fall half asleep again when there's a slightest crack from the stairs that forces me to wake up, half from fear half from just something to look at besides my feet and headlights. I get on my knees and peer around the conner block in the middle of the floor trying to avoid having to stand up. Not to any surprise, a bed headed Calum comes thumbing down the last step of the stairs. I immediately shift back to my position before against the cabinet before he could see me.

"Luke? Luke are you down here..? Please come back to bed" Calums voice was scruffy and frankly, hard to understand. 

"Im over here Cal"  I sit up a little more making it more clear where I was, since he woke up on his own this early i dont trust that he'll be able to see me too well.  There's a thump from his direction and foot steps start to get closer.

"Baby, what are you doing down here this early?" Calum rubs his eyes and sits down next to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder right away. 

"I woke up and couldn't sleep and didn't want to wake you, what are you doing up?" I lean in close to him as im talking, nestling into his neck. 

"I rolled over and when you weren't right there next to me, I woke up. Do you think you can't sleep because you're worried about my dad coming back?" He rubbed my shoulder softly with his hand, letting me fall completely onto him.

"Probably.. What if he does come back. Than what would we do?" I tilt my head up to look at his face, but my eyes drop back down to the floor again. 

"Please fall asleep. I can tell you're tired just get some rest, I'll stay right here and stay awake until you wake up again if it will make you feel safe." Cal tightens his arm around me for a second then lets go, I dont reply I just shut my eyes and burro into his side. He made me feel safe under any circumstance, I know if his dad came back he couldnt defend himself but that didnt matter. It wasnt like it was going to happen

~10:53AM~ 

Loud laughing and sizzling start to fill the air around me, making me wake up well before I would've wanted to. I open my eyes and look around the room right away, Ashton was sitting in a chair outside the kitchen but Michael was standing directly over us, his legs practically in my lap. I look over at Calum who was asleep, his arm still around me. We had ended up with his head dropped on mine and my head laying on his shoulder face down towards the floor. I wasn't surprised he wasn't awake yet. I pull myself up off the floor all at once, avoiding sitting up right into Micheal's legs.

"Why are you guys asleep in the kitchen Luke" Michael continues to make his food, not missing a beat. 

"I woke up and couldn't sleep, Im not sure why Calums down here with me he just kind joined me at some point." I stretch out and watch Cal slowly start slipping down to the floor. Right before his head hits the floor I kneel down and put my hands under his head, propping him back up right. The motion wakes him up, slowly but surely he wakes up with a rather irritated look on his face. I have my head tilted sideways to line up directly with his so the first thing he see's is me. His squints his eyes open at first looking mad at first, but a smile brakes across his face once he can clearly see me.  I look down at him for a second, keeping a blank expression, than look but up across the room.