Chapter 8- Unexpected Reunion

"Son?" Gene said, furrowing his brow.

The man stepped forward. "Yeah. Son."

Gene shook his head, attempting to clear it of confusion. "I'm sorry. How rude of me. I'm Gene. You talked to my friend Zenix. He said you haven't seen me in ages. I apologize, but I don't remember you."

The man chuckled. "I knew you wouldn't. It has been, what, 27 years?"

Gene was beyond confused at this point. "Are you a family friend?"

"Yeah, sorta. I used to be part of it."

"Gene?" A feminine voice says from behind.

Genes mother, dressed elegantly in a sparkly blue, form-fitting gown, stands next to Gene with a shocked expression.

"Alexander?"

The man smiles. "Hey, Maria."

Genes mother gasps.

Genes confusion rises by the minute. "Alexander... Wait. You two know each other?"

"Every inch." Alexander says.

"Or so we thought." Maria retorts.

"Be honest with yourself, Maria. We had this strong young man and Dante together."

"You changed." Maria says, turning up her nose and fighting tears.

"Wait. Had me and Dante together...?" Genes eyes widen with realization. He gasps and steps back, away from his parents.

"Glad you caught on." Alexander says, adjusting his bow tie. "Now that we're all reunited-save for Dante- what's going on here?"

"We are not reunited, Alex." Maria says with an air of annoyance.

"Stop resisting, Maria. You miss our family. I've come back to put it back together."

Maria gasps. "Why you little!..."

"Enough!" Gene booms. The quariling  exs stop and look at their son.

"You two are acting like children! Now, what's going on?"

Dante POV

Gene went missing. I asked Zenix, but he was in a drunken stupor, trying to take Sasha home with him.

I walk the halls, looking for my brother.

I hear fighting around the corner. I continue on, finding my mother, my brother and a man who looks strangely like Gene.

3rd POV

"Mom? Gene? What's going on? I heard fighting and..."

Dante stopped when he saw tears forming in his mothers eyes; Gene's face, a mix of confusion and anger.

His eyes landed on the man in front of him. "Uh. Who's this?"

Maria sighed. "I never wanted to tell you boys this way. Or at all for that matter." She mumbled the last part, glaring at Alexander. "Boys, this is your father. We divorced when Gene was three; Dante just a year old."