Chapter 7

Nathan and I meet at the gates so we decide to go to the music building together. We pass through the field when I hear the cheerleaders call my name. With the sound of my name, I walk towards them. I see Sarah talking with the cheerleaders. They seem talking about me. Nathan follows me. We decide to hide in the bushes and listen.

"What are you trying to prove now?" One of the cheerleaders asks Sarah.

"I am trying to prove to you that I can be like Elise... and that I will not be a disappointment when she returns." Sarah says.

"What are you saying? Elise will return? Is that a joke? She will never be the captain again." The other one says.

"She will. Students still love her!" Sarah says, defending me.

"Love her? Students have already forgotten about her! When the next College Night comes and the next Queen will be crowned, the students will forget her, even her name." the third one says.

Sarah has enough. Due to anger, she pushes one of the cheerleaders. I am about to run to my sister's aid when Diane comes.

"What is this commotion all about?" Diane asks them.

"They are insulting Elise!" Sarah screams.

"Come here Sarah, don't mind them." Diane says and Sarah runs to her side. "And for the three of you, you won't dance on the next routine. I don't tolerate you people asking for war here."

After talking, Diane and Sarah walk away, leaving the three behind.

"Just because she became the captain, she started to look highly on herself. Who is she even?" One of the cheerleaders says then they too start walking away.

Nathan taps my shoulders. I face him with tears on my face.

"What's the matter? Were you hurt with what they said?" He asks me.

I shake my head no. "All this time I thought Sarah hated me." I tell him.

He touches my shoulder to comfort me. He is not very good with comforting someone but his touch is enough for me to calm down.

"Of course, the two of you are sisters. She must have shown you anger but you still have the same blood in your veins. She must be shy to show you her true side." He tells me.

I wipe my tears away and stand up. I brush the leaves on my clothes. "Come on, it's time for the next lesson." I say. I offer my hand to him. He takes it and stands up. "Come on." He agrees. Side by side together, we head to the Music building.

After school, when I am walking towards home, I see Tom waiting outside from the distance. I decide to hide in one of the posts and watch Tom. I am not sure why Tom is there. After a moment, Tom starts to walk away from the house. He is about to turn to the next street when he sees Diane walking. Diane and I live few blocks away.

"What are you doing here?" Diane asks Tom.

"I just passed by a friend's house." Tom tells her. He continues to walk when Diane held his arm. Tom faces her. "Why?" he asks.

"You were at Elise's house, right?" She asks.

Tom is silent then after a minute he answers, "Yes."

"I've been seeing you these past few days looking over at Elise's house. Do you really miss her that much?" Diane asks.

"It's none of your business." Tom says. He brushes Diane's hand away and starts walking away when Diane shouts.

"I know everything!" Diane yells. "I know everything about you and Elise!"